Best Easy Afghan Chapli Kabab Recipe
Originating from Afghanistan, chapli kabab is a popular and delicious dish loved by many around the world. These savory, spiced meat patties are packed with flavor and are perfect for a quick and easy meal. If you’re craving a taste of Afghan cuisine, here’s a simple and authentic recipe for chapli kabab that you can easily recreate at home.
– 500g ground beef
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 2 green chilies, finely chopped
– 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
– 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
– 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
– 1 teaspoon ginger paste
– 1 teaspoon garlic paste
– 1 teaspoon red chili powder
– 1 teaspoon coriander powder
– 1 teaspoon cumin powder
– 1 teaspoon garam masala
– 1 egg, beaten
– Salt to taste
– Oil for frying
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, chopped onion, green chilies, tomatoes, coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger paste, garlic paste, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, beaten egg, and salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
2. Take a small portion of the meat mixture and shape it into a round patty. Repeat this process with the remaining mixture to make several patties.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the chapli kabab patties in the pan. Cook them for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
4. Once cooked, transfer the chapli kababs to a paper towel-lined plate to remove any excess oil.
5. Serve the chapli kababs hot with naan bread, mint chutney, and a side salad for a complete meal.
Now, let’s move on to some common questions about chapli kababs:
1. Can I use a different type of meat for chapli kababs?
Yes, you can use ground lamb or chicken instead of beef if you prefer. The cooking time may vary slightly depending on the type of meat used.
2. Can I make chapli kababs in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the chapli kabab mixture ahead of time and refrigerate it until you’re ready to cook. This can be convenient for busy days or when hosting a gathering.
3. Can I grill chapli kababs instead of frying them?
Yes, you can grill the chapli kababs on a barbecue or grill pan for a healthier option. Make sure to brush them with oil to prevent sticking.
4. Can I freeze chapli kababs?
Yes, you can freeze the uncooked chapli kabab patties for later use. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, freeze until firm, then transfer them to a freezer bag. They can be stored for up to three months.
5. Can I add other vegetables to the chapli kabab mixture?
Yes, you can experiment with adding finely chopped bell peppers, carrots, or even spinach to the mixture for added texture and nutrition.
6. What can I serve with chapli kababs?
Traditionally, chapli kababs are served with naan bread, mint chutney, and a side salad. You can also enjoy them with rice or as a filling in a pita bread or wrap.
7. Are chapli kababs spicy?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted according to your preference. If you prefer a milder flavor, reduce the amount of red chili powder and green chilies in the recipe.
Enjoy preparing and savoring this easy Afghan chapli kabab recipe that will transport you to the vibrant flavors of Afghanistan.