Best Easy Amish Ham Salad Spread Recipe
Amish cuisine is known for its simplicity and hearty flavors. One dish that stands out is the Amish ham salad spread. This delicious and easy-to-make recipe is perfect for sandwiches, crackers, or as a dip for veggies. It combines the smoky flavors of ham with a creamy and tangy dressing. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make the best Amish ham salad spread.
– 2 cups cooked ham, finely chopped
– 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
– 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
– 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
– 1/2 cup mayonnaise
– 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– Salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the chopped ham, celery, onion, and sweet pickle relish.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, yellow mustard, sugar, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
3. Pour the dressing over the ham mixture and toss until everything is evenly coated.
4. Taste and adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld together.
6. Serve the Amish ham salad spread as a sandwich filling, on crackers, or as a dip for vegetables.
7. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
1. Can I use leftover ham for this recipe?
Absolutely! Leftover ham works perfectly for this ham salad spread recipe. Just chop it into small pieces and follow the instructions as mentioned.
2. Can I substitute mayonnaise with a healthier alternative?
Yes, you can use Greek yogurt or sour cream as a substitute for mayonnaise. It will give a tangy flavor and reduce the calorie content.
3. Can I add additional ingredients to this recipe?
Certainly! You can customize this recipe by adding ingredients like diced pickles, hard-boiled eggs, or even a sprinkle of paprika for added flavor.
4. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the Amish ham salad spread a day in advance. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
5. Can I use a food processor to chop the ham?
While you can use a food processor, it’s better to chop the ham by hand to achieve a chunkier texture. This allows for a better mouthfeel and ensures that the ham isn’t overprocessed.
6. Can I use turkey or chicken instead of ham?
Yes, you can substitute ham with cooked turkey or chicken if desired. The flavors might vary slightly, but it will still be delicious.
7. Can I freeze this ham salad spread?
It’s not recommended to freeze this recipe, as the texture of the mayonnaise-based dressing may change after thawing.
8. What can I serve with this Amish ham salad spread?
This versatile spread can be served on bread, rolls, or even as a dip for crackers, pretzels, or fresh vegetables.
9. Can I use this recipe for a large gathering or party?
Absolutely! This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a larger crowd. Just adjust the ingredients accordingly.
In conclusion, the Amish ham salad spread is a delightful addition to any meal or gathering. Its simplicity and delicious flavors make it a versatile and crowd-pleasing dish. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the taste of traditional Amish cuisine.