Arroz con cilantro, also known as cilantro rice, is a delicious and flavorful dish that is popular in many Latin American countries. This easy recipe combines the aromatic herb cilantro with rice, creating a vibrant and fragrant side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight meal or a tasty addition to your next gathering, this arroz con cilantro recipe is sure to please.
To make the best easy arroz con cilantro, you will need the following ingredients:
– 2 cups of white rice
– 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
– 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
2. Add the rice to the saucepan and stir well, ensuring that each grain is coated with the oil and aromatics.
3. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
4. Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and add the chopped cilantro. Mix well to evenly distribute the herb throughout the rice.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste, adjusting the flavors to your preference.
6. Cover the saucepan and let the rice sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
7. Serve the arroz con cilantro as a side dish alongside your favorite protein or as a main course with grilled vegetables for a vegetarian option.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about this delightful arroz con cilantro recipe:
Q1: Can I use brown rice instead of white rice?
A1: Yes, you can substitute brown rice for white rice. However, keep in mind that the cooking time may vary, so be sure to follow the instructions on the package.
Q2: Can I use dried cilantro instead of fresh?
A2: Fresh cilantro is recommended for this recipe as it provides a vibrant and aromatic flavor. However, if fresh cilantro is not available, you can use dried cilantro. Use about 1 tablespoon of dried cilantro in place of the fresh bunch.
Q3: Can I add other vegetables to this recipe?
A3: Absolutely! Arroz con cilantro can easily be customized to include your favorite vegetables. Consider adding diced bell peppers, peas, or carrots for added color and texture.
Q4: Can I make this recipe vegan?
A4: Yes, you can make this recipe vegan by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omitting any animal-based ingredients.
Q5: How long does arroz con cilantro last in the refrigerator?
A5: Arroz con cilantro can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Q6: Can I freeze arroz con cilantro?
A6: Yes, you can freeze arroz con cilantro. Allow the rice to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or zip-lock bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat before serving.
Q7: What are some dishes that pair well with arroz con cilantro?
A7: Arroz con cilantro pairs well with a variety of dishes such as grilled chicken, beef or shrimp, roasted vegetables, or even alongside tacos and enchiladas.
Arroz con cilantro is a simple yet flavorful dish that adds a burst of freshness to any meal. With its vibrant green color and fragrant aroma, it is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner, this easy recipe will impress your family and friends with its delicious taste.