Best Easy Ball Canning Tomato Soup Recipe
Tomato soup is a classic comfort food that is loved by people of all ages. It is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with a grilled cheese sandwich. Making tomato soup from scratch not only allows you to control the quality of ingredients but also enables you to preserve the fresh flavors for later enjoyment. With the help of Ball canning, you can easily make a delicious tomato soup and store it for a long time. Here is the best easy Ball canning tomato soup recipe.
– 20 pounds ripe tomatoes
– 1 cup chopped onions
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 1 cup chopped carrots
– 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/4 cup salt
– 2 tablespoons dried basil
– 2 tablespoons dried oregano
– 1 tablespoon black pepper
– 1 tablespoon garlic powder
– 1/2 cup lemon juice
1. Start by preparing the tomatoes. Wash them thoroughly and remove the stems. Cut them into quarters and place them in a large pot.
2. Add the chopped onions, celery, carrots, and bell peppers to the pot. These vegetables will add depth of flavor to the soup.
3. Stir in the sugar, salt, dried basil, dried oregano, black pepper, and garlic powder. These seasonings will enhance the taste of the tomatoes.
4. Place the pot on the stove over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
5. After the vegetables have softened and the flavors have melded together, remove the pot from the heat. Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
6. Return the pot to the stove and add the lemon juice. The lemon juice will act as a natural preservative and help maintain the vibrant color of the soup.
7. Bring the soup to a gentle boil and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. This will ensure that the lemon juice is incorporated well.
8. While the soup is simmering, prepare your canning jars according to the Ball canning instructions. Sterilize the jars, lids, and rings to ensure proper preservation.
9. Ladle the hot tomato soup into the prepared jars, leaving about 1/2 inch of headspace. Wipe the rims clean, place the lids on top, and screw on the rings firmly.
10. Process the jars in a boiling water bath for about 40 minutes. This will create a vacuum seal that will keep the soup fresh and safe to consume for up to a year.
Now that you have successfully made a batch of delicious tomato soup, you can enjoy it whenever you crave a comforting bowl. The convenience of Ball canning allows you to preserve the flavors of summer and enjoy them all year round.
Questions and Answers:
1. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried ones?
Yes, you can substitute dried basil and oregano with fresh herbs. Use three times the amount of fresh herbs as dried ones for the same flavor.
2. Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Certainly! Feel free to experiment and add other vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, or even spinach to the soup for added nutrition and flavor.
3. How long does the canned tomato soup last?
When properly sealed and stored in a cool, dark place, the canned tomato soup can last for up to a year.
4. Can I use cherry tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes?
Yes, you can use cherry tomatoes for a sweeter and more intense flavor. Keep in mind that you may need more cherry tomatoes to reach the same weight as regular tomatoes.
5. Can I freeze the soup instead of canning it?
Yes, you can freeze the tomato soup in airtight containers instead of canning it. Just make sure to leave enough headspace for expansion during freezing.
6. Can I omit the sugar from the recipe?
Yes, you can omit the sugar if you prefer a less sweet tomato soup. The sugar helps balance the acidity of the tomatoes, but it is not necessary for the preservation process.
7. Can I add cream to the soup for a creamier texture?
Yes, you can add cream or milk to the soup after opening a jar. Heat the soup on the stove and stir in the desired amount of cream before serving.