If you’re a fan of sweet, creamy desserts, then Jamie Oliver’s easy banoffee pie recipe is a must-try. This delicious treat combines the flavors of bananas, toffee, and whipped cream, creating a mouthwatering dessert that will leave you craving for more. So, let’s dive into the recipe and discover how to make the best banoffee pie!
To start, you’ll need the following ingredients:
– 300g digestive biscuits
– 150g unsalted butter
– 1 can of condensed milk (397g)
– 3-4 ripe bananas
– 300ml double cream
– 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate, grated
Now, let’s break down the steps:
1. Begin by crushing the digestive biscuits. You can do this by placing them in a plastic bag and crushing them with a rolling pin until they resemble fine crumbs.
2. Melt the unsalted butter in a saucepan and add the crushed biscuits. Mix until well combined.
3. Press the biscuit mixture into the base of a 20cm loose-bottomed tart tin, ensuring an even layer. Place it in the fridge to set while you prepare the filling.
4. In a separate saucepan, heat the condensed milk over low heat, stirring continuously until it thickens and turns into a golden toffee. This usually takes around 5-10 minutes. Be careful not to let it burn.
5. Pour the toffee over the biscuit base and spread it evenly. Allow it to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set.
6. Once the toffee has set, slice the ripe bananas and arrange them on top of the toffee layer.
7. In a bowl, whip the double cream until it forms soft peaks. Spread the whipped cream over the banana layer, covering it completely.
8. Finally, sprinkle the grated dark chocolate over the top of the pie, adding a touch of elegance and extra flavor.
9. Place the banoffee pie back in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. This will ensure that all the flavors meld together and create the perfect texture.
Now that you have the recipe, let’s address some common questions:
Q1. Can I use a different type of biscuit for the base?
A1. Yes, you can use any type of biscuit you prefer. Graham crackers or shortbread biscuits work well too.
Q2. How long does the toffee take to thicken?
A2. It usually takes around 5-10 minutes over low heat. Just keep stirring until it reaches the desired consistency.
Q3. Can I make the banoffee pie in advance?
A3. Yes, you can prepare the pie a day in advance and keep it refrigerated until ready to serve.
Q4. Can I use whipped topping instead of double cream?
A4. Yes, you can use whipped topping if you prefer. However, double cream provides a richer flavor and creamier texture.
Q5. Can I add other toppings to the banoffee pie?
A5. Absolutely! You can experiment with additional toppings such as caramel sauce, chopped nuts, or even fresh berries.
Q6. How long will the banoffee pie keep in the fridge?
A6. The pie will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days if stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Q7. Can I use a different size of tart tin?
A7. Yes, you can use a larger or smaller tart tin, but you may need to adjust the quantities of the ingredients accordingly.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to put on your apron and start creating this delectable banoffee pie. Enjoy every spoonful of this indulgent dessert, and share it with your loved ones to spread the joy!