Bar Harbor Clam Chowder is a classic New England dish that is loved for its creamy and rich flavors. This easy recipe brings the taste of Bar Harbor right to your kitchen, allowing you to enjoy this delightful soup any time you want. Here is the best easy Bar Harbor Clam Chowder recipe that will surely satisfy your taste buds.
– 4 slices of bacon, chopped
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 cups of potatoes, peeled and diced
– 2 cups of clam juice
– 2 cups of heavy cream
– 2 cans of chopped clams, drained
– 1 bay leaf
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside, leaving the bacon grease in the pot.
2. Add the diced onion to the pot and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Then, add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
3. Add the diced potatoes, clam juice, and bay leaf to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4. Stir in the heavy cream and drained clams. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
5. Remove the bay leaf from the pot. Using a ladle, transfer about half of the chowder to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
6. Return the blended chowder to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the chowder to thicken.
7. Serve the Bar Harbor Clam Chowder hot, garnished with the crispy bacon and chopped fresh parsley.
Now that you have the recipe, let’s answer some common questions about Bar Harbor Clam Chowder:
Q1: Can I use fresh clams instead of canned clams?
A1: Absolutely! Fresh clams will add a delicious flavor to the chowder. Simply steam the clams until they open, then remove the meat and chop it before adding it to the chowder.
Q2: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A2: Yes, you can make the chowder ahead of time and refrigerate it. Just reheat it gently on the stovetop before serving.
Q3: Can I substitute the heavy cream with a lighter alternative?
A3: While heavy cream provides the richness to the chowder, you can use half-and-half or whole milk for a lighter version. However, keep in mind that the consistency and flavor may vary.
Q4: How long will the leftovers last?
A4: The leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop before serving.
Q5: Can I freeze the chowder?
A5: Unfortunately, the texture of the chowder may change when frozen and thawed, so it is not recommended.
Q6: Can I add other vegetables to the chowder?
A6: Absolutely! Feel free to add corn, carrots, celery, or any other vegetables you like to enhance the flavor and texture.
Q7: Is this recipe gluten-free?
A7: As long as you use gluten-free bacon and check the labels on the clam juice and canned clams, this recipe can be made gluten-free.
Enjoy your homemade Bar Harbor Clam Chowder with its creamy texture and delightful flavors. It’s the perfect comfort food for any time of the year, bringing a taste of the coast right to your table.