Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding is a delightful and comforting dessert that brings together the richness of sweet potatoes and the warm flavors of spices. This traditional Jamaican recipe has been passed down through generations and is a beloved treat during festive occasions or simply as a sweet ending to a meal. If you’re looking for an easy yet delicious recipe to try, here’s the best Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding recipe for you.
– 2 lbs of sweet potatoes, grated
– 1 cup of all-purpose flour
– 1 cup of brown sugar
– 1 cup of coconut milk
– 1 cup of raisins
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
– 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 cup of melted butter
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated sweet potatoes, flour, brown sugar, coconut milk, raisins, vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
3. Grease a baking dish with butter or cooking spray to prevent sticking.
4. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the greased baking dish and spread it evenly.
5. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the pudding is set and the top is golden brown.
6. Once baked, remove the pudding from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
7. Cut the pudding into squares or desired shapes and serve warm.
8. You can enjoy the Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for added indulgence.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding.
1. Can I use canned sweet potatoes instead of fresh ones?
While fresh sweet potatoes are recommended for the best texture and flavor, you can use canned sweet potatoes as a substitute. Just make sure to drain and mash them before adding to the recipe.
2. Can I replace coconut milk with regular milk?
Yes, if you prefer a milder coconut flavor, you can replace coconut milk with regular milk.
3. Can I omit the raisins?
Certainly! If you’re not a fan of raisins or prefer a smoother consistency, you can leave them out or substitute with chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans.
4. Can I make this pudding ahead of time?
Absolutely! Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding can be made a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Just reheat it in the oven or microwave before serving.
5. Can I freeze Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding?
Yes, you can freeze the pudding for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
6. Can I use sweet potato puree instead of grated sweet potatoes?
Yes, you can use sweet potato puree if you prefer a smoother texture. Just make sure to adjust the quantity accordingly.
7. Can I reduce the amount of sugar?
Certainly! If you prefer a less sweet pudding, you can reduce the amount of sugar to your liking.
8. Can I add other spices like ginger or cloves?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with other spices like ginger, cloves, or even a hint of allspice to customize the flavors according to your preference.
9. Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, you can easily make this recipe vegan by replacing butter with a plant-based alternative like coconut oil and using a non-dairy milk instead of regular milk.