Bhindi Masala, also known as Okra Masala, is a popular Indian dish that is loved by many for its rich flavors and simple preparation. This delicious vegetarian recipe can be made as a dry dish, making it a perfect accompaniment to rice or roti. If you’re looking to try out this flavorful dish, here is the best easy Bhindi Masala recipe dry that you can try at home.
– 500 grams Bhindi (Okra/Ladyfinger), washed and dried
– 2 tablespoons oil
– 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
– 2 green chilies, slit
– 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
– 1 teaspoon red chili powder
– 1 teaspoon coriander powder
– 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
– Salt to taste
– Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Start by trimming the ends of the Bhindi and cutting them into 1-inch pieces. Make sure they are completely dry to avoid any sliminess.
2. Heat oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add the chopped onions and green chilies to the pan and sauté until the onions turn golden brown.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for a minute until the raw smell disappears.
5. Now, add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
6. Add all the dry spices – red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
7. Add the chopped Bhindi to the pan and mix gently to coat them with the spices. Ensure that the Bhindi is evenly distributed in the pan.
8. Cover the pan and cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. The Bhindi will release its natural juices and cook until tender.
9. Once the Bhindi is cooked, remove the lid and increase the heat to dry out any excess moisture. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
10. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
Now that you have the recipe for the best easy Bhindi Masala dry, let’s answer some common questions about this delicious dish:
1. Can I use frozen Bhindi for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen Bhindi, but make sure to thaw and pat dry before using.
2. How can I make this dish less spicy?
You can reduce the amount of red chili powder and green chilies according to your taste preference.
3. Can I add other vegetables to this recipe?
Yes, you can add other vegetables like potatoes or bell peppers to enhance the flavor and texture.
4. Can I use Bhindi with seeds?
It’s best to use Bhindi without seeds for this recipe as they tend to be less slimy.
5. Can I make this dish in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the Bhindi Masala in advance and reheat it before serving. However, it is best enjoyed fresh.
6. Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, you can substitute oil with any vegan cooking oil and skip the ghee or butter if using.
7. How do I prevent Bhindi from becoming slimy?
To avoid sliminess, make sure the Bhindi is completely dry before cooking. You can also add a squeeze of lemon juice while cooking to reduce the sliminess.
Now that you have all the information and the best easy Bhindi Masala dry recipe, it’s time to get cooking and enjoy this flavorful Indian dish!