Best Easy Birria Pork Tacos Recipe
Tacos have become a beloved dish around the world, and one variation that has gained immense popularity is the Birria Pork Tacos. Originating from the state of Jalisco in Mexico, this dish is a perfect fusion of rich flavors and tender meat. If you’re looking to impress your friends and family with a delicious and easy-to-make meal, this Birria Pork Tacos recipe is for you.
– 2 pounds of pork shoulder, cut into chunks
– 1 onion, chopped
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 dried guajillo chilies
– 2 dried ancho chilies
– 2 cups of beef broth
– 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
– 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Corn tortillas
– Cilantro, chopped
– Onion, finely diced
– Lime wedges
1. In a large pot, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the pork shoulder chunks and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the pork from the pot and set it aside.
2. In the same pot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until they become soft and translucent.
3. While the onions and garlic are cooking, remove the stems and seeds from the dried guajillo and ancho chilies. Toast them in a dry skillet for a few seconds on each side until fragrant. Then, soak the chilies in hot water for about 10 minutes.
4. Once the chilies have softened, transfer them to a blender along with the beef broth, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend until you have a smooth sauce.
5. Pour the sauce into the pot with the onions and garlic. Stir well to combine. Add the browned pork shoulder back into the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for about 2 to 3 hours, or until the pork is tender and easily shreds.
6. Once the pork is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred it using two forks. Return the shredded meat to the pot and mix it with the sauce.
7. To serve, warm the corn tortillas in a dry skillet or microwave. Spoon some of the Birria pork onto each tortilla and garnish with chopped cilantro, finely diced onion, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Now, let’s move on to some commonly asked questions about this delicious Birria Pork Tacos recipe:
Q1. Can I use beef instead of pork?
A1. Absolutely! This recipe works well with beef as well. You can use beef chuck or brisket for equally delicious Birria Beef Tacos.
Q2. Can I make Birria Pork Tacos in a slow cooker?
A2. Yes, you can. Brown the pork shoulder in a skillet, then transfer it along with the sauce and onions to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Q3. How can I make the Birria Pork Tacos spicier?
A3. If you prefer a spicier version, you can add some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to the blender along with the other ingredients.
Q4. Can I freeze the Birria Pork for later use?
A4. Yes, you can freeze the cooked Birria Pork for up to 3 months. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container or freezer bags.
Q5. Can I make Birria Pork Tacos ahead of time?
A5. Absolutely! In fact, the flavors tend to develop even more when the Birria Pork is left to sit overnight. Just reheat it gently before serving.
Q6. What toppings can I add to my Birria Pork Tacos?
A6. Besides the cilantro, diced onion, and lime wedges, you can also add some sliced radishes, chopped tomatoes, or a dollop of sour cream.
Q7. Are there any vegetarian options for Birria Tacos?
A7. Yes, you can substitute the meat with mushrooms, jackfruit, or even cauliflower to create a delicious vegetarian version of Birria Tacos.
Now that you have all the information you need, go ahead and try this mouthwatering Birria Pork Tacos recipe. Get ready to indulge in the rich and flavorful world of Mexican cuisine!