Best Easy Birria Tacos Consome Recipe
Birria tacos consome is a traditional Mexican dish that has gained immense popularity in recent years. The succulent and flavorful meat combined with the rich consome (broth) creates a mouthwatering experience that is hard to resist. Whether you have tried it before or are new to this culinary delight, this easy recipe will have you making the best birria tacos consome in no time!
– 2 pounds beef chuck roast
– 1 onion, chopped
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 4 cups beef broth
– 2 dried guajillo chilies
– 2 dried ancho chilies
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Corn tortillas
– Fresh cilantro, chopped
– Onion, finely diced
– Lime wedges
1. In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, sauté until fragrant and translucent.
2. Remove the stems and seeds from the dried guajillo and ancho chilies. Place them in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes to soften.
3. In a blender, combine the softened chilies, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and a cup of beef broth. Blend until smooth, creating a thick sauce.
4. Cut the beef chuck roast into small chunks and season with salt and pepper. In the same pot, brown the beef on all sides until it develops a nice crust.
5. Pour the chili sauce over the beef, followed by the remaining beef broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer uncovered for about 2-3 hours or until the beef is tender and easily shred with a fork.
6. Once the beef is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred it using two forks. Set aside.
7. Strain the consome to remove any solids, leaving you with a flavorful broth. Return the broth to the pot and bring it back to a simmer.
8. To assemble the tacos, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and warm the corn tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side.
9. Fill each tortilla with the shredded beef and fold it in half. Place the tacos in the skillet and cook until the tortillas are crispy and golden brown.
10. Serve the birria tacos alongside a bowl of consome. Garnish with fresh cilantro, diced onion, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Now, let’s answer some common questions about this delicious dish:
1. Can I use a different type of meat for birria tacos consome?
Yes, you can use other cuts of beef, such as beef shank or short ribs, for a different flavor and texture.
2. How spicy are birria tacos consome?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted to your liking by adding more or fewer chilies. Guajillo and ancho chilies are generally mild, providing a subtle heat.
3. Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?
Absolutely! Simply follow the same steps until step 5, then transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the beef is tender.
4. Can I freeze the leftover consome?
Yes, you can freeze the consome in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
5. Are birria tacos consome gluten-free?
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free as long as the beef broth you use is gluten-free.
6. Can I make vegetarian birria tacos consome?
Yes, you can substitute the beef with jackfruit or mushrooms for a vegetarian version. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
7. What toppings go well with birria tacos consome?
Besides cilantro, diced onion, and lime juice, you can also add sliced radishes, avocado, or a drizzle of sour cream.
8. Can I use store-bought chili sauce instead of making my own?
While homemade chili sauce adds a special touch, you can use store-bought chili sauce if you’re short on time.
9. Can I use chicken instead of beef for birria tacos consome?
Yes, you can substitute beef with chicken if you prefer. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
Enjoy the deliciousness of birria tacos consome with this easy recipe. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply indulging in a comforting meal, these tacos will undoubtedly satisfy your taste buds.