Best Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken pot pie is a classic comfort food that is loved by many. It’s a hearty dish filled with tender chicken, vegetables, and a creamy sauce, all topped with a flaky crust. While making a pot pie from scratch may seem daunting, this easy recipe will guide you through the process step by step.
– 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
– 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
– 1 cup chicken broth
– 1 cup milk
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup butter
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 package refrigerated pie crusts
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
3. Add the flour to the melted butter and stir until well combined.
4. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and milk, then cook until the mixture thickens.
5. Add the cooked chicken and frozen vegetables to the skillet. Stir until everything is evenly coated in the sauce.
6. Season with salt and black pepper.
7. Remove the skillet from heat and set it aside.
8. Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it into a 9-inch pie dish.
9. Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture into the pie dish.
10. Roll out the second pie crust and place it on top of the filling. Seal the edges by crimping with a fork or your fingers.
11. Cut a few slits on the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
12. Optional: Brush the top crust with an egg wash for a shiny finish.
13. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
14. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is a crowd-pleaser, but you may have some questions about the process. Here are some commonly asked questions and their answers:
1. Can I use store-bought rotisserie chicken instead of cooking chicken from scratch?
Yes, using store-bought rotisserie chicken is a great time-saving option. Simply shred the rotisserie chicken and use it in the recipe as directed.
2. Can I use fresh vegetables instead of frozen?
Yes, you can use fresh vegetables if you prefer. Just make sure to chop them into small, bite-sized pieces before adding them to the skillet.
3. Can I make the pie crust from scratch?
If you prefer homemade pie crust, you can definitely make it from scratch instead of using store-bought. There are many simple recipes available online.
4. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the pot pie ahead of time and refrigerate it until ready to bake. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly, as it may take a bit longer if the pie is cold from the refrigerator.
5. Can I freeze the pot pie?
Yes, you can freeze the pot pie before or after baking. If freezing before baking, make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator before baking according to the recipe instructions.
6. Can I add other seasonings or herbs to the filling?
Absolutely! Feel free to customize the recipe to your taste by adding your favorite herbs and seasonings. Thyme, rosemary, and garlic powder are popular choices.
7. What can I serve with chicken pot pie?
Chicken pot pie is a complete meal in itself, but you can serve it with a side salad or some crusty bread for a more substantial meal.
Now that you have the best easy chicken pot pie recipe and answers to common questions, it’s time to get cooking. Enjoy this comforting and delicious dish with your family and friends!