Best Easy Chinese Chicken and Eggplant Recipe
Chinese cuisine is known for its bold flavors and distinct combinations of ingredients. One such popular dish is the Chinese Chicken and Eggplant, which is a delicious and easy recipe to make at home. This dish combines tender chicken pieces with silky eggplant, all coated in a savory sauce that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make the best easy Chinese Chicken and Eggplant recipe.
– 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
– 2 medium-sized eggplants, cut into bite-sized pieces
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
– 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– 1/2 cup chicken broth
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Chopped green onions for garnish
1. In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, cornstarch, and chicken broth. Set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and grated ginger and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
3. Add chicken slices to the skillet and cook until browned and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
4. In the same skillet, add more oil if necessary, and then add the eggplant. Stir-fry for 5-7 minutes until the eggplant is tender and lightly browned.
5. Return the chicken to the skillet with the eggplant and pour the sauce mixture over them. Stir well to coat the chicken and eggplant evenly.
6. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes until it thickens.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Garnish with chopped green onions and serve the Chinese Chicken and Eggplant hot with steamed rice or noodles.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about this delicious Chinese dish:
1. Can I use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, boneless chicken thighs can be used as a substitute for chicken breasts in this recipe. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
2. Can I use other vegetables instead of eggplant?
Yes, you can experiment with different vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms. However, eggplant adds a unique flavor and texture to this dish.
3. Is there a vegetarian version of this recipe?
Yes, you can omit the chicken and make a vegetarian version by using tofu or simply increasing the quantity of eggplant.
4. Can I make this dish spicy?
Absolutely! If you prefer a spicier version, you can add some chili flakes or sriracha sauce to the sauce mixture.
5. Can I make this dish in advance?
While it is best to serve this dish fresh, you can prepare the ingredients in advance and stir-fry them just before serving to maintain their texture.
6. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
7. Can I use other sauces instead of oyster sauce and hoisin sauce?
Oyster sauce and hoisin sauce provide the authentic flavors to this dish. However, you can experiment with other sauces like black bean sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
8. Can I add other seasonings or herbs to enhance the flavor?
Feel free to add additional seasonings like Chinese five-spice powder or sesame oil for added depth of flavor.
9. Can I double the recipe for a larger crowd?
Yes, you can easily double or triple the ingredients to serve more people. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly and use a larger skillet or wok.
In conclusion, this best easy Chinese Chicken and Eggplant recipe is a delightful combination of flavors and textures. It is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your preferences. So, put on your apron and give this recipe a try to enjoy a taste of Chinese cuisine in the comfort of your own home.