Chinese cuisine is known for its bold flavors and unique combinations of ingredients. One dish that perfectly captures the essence of Chinese cooking is the oxtail stew. This hearty and flavorful dish is a perfect comfort food, especially during the colder months. If you’re looking for an easy Chinese oxtail stew recipe, look no further. Here is a recipe that will satisfy your cravings and impress your family and friends.
– 2 pounds of oxtail, cut into pieces
– 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
– 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
– 1 tablespoon of hoisin sauce
– 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
– 4 cups of beef broth
– 2 star anise
– 2 cinnamon sticks
– 2 bay leaves
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Chopped green onions for garnish
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the oxtail pieces and brown them on all sides. Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside.
2. In the same pot, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Sauté until fragrant and golden.
3. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and brown sugar to the pot. Stir well to combine the flavors.
4. Return the oxtail to the pot and pour in the beef broth. Add the star anise, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the oxtail is tender and the flavors have melded together.
6. Once the oxtail is tender, remove it from the pot and set aside. Discard the star anise, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaves.
7. Using a ladle or a spoon, skim off any excess fat from the surface of the stew.
8. Return the oxtail to the pot and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes, allowing the meat to absorb the flavors of the stew.
9. Serve the Chinese oxtail stew hot, garnished with chopped green onions. It pairs well with steamed rice or crusty bread.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about this delicious Chinese oxtail stew:
1. Can I use a slow cooker instead of a pot?
Yes, you can transfer the oxtail and stew ingredients to a slow cooker after browning the oxtail. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
2. Can I use other cuts of beef instead of oxtail?
While oxtail adds a unique flavor and richness to the stew, you can substitute it with beef shanks or beef short ribs.
3. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Absolutely! Allow the stew to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
4. Can I add vegetables to the stew?
Yes, you can add carrots, potatoes, or mushrooms for added flavor and texture. Simply chop them into bite-sized pieces and add them during the simmering stage.
5. Can I make this stew spicy?
If you prefer a spicy kick, you can add chili flakes or a chopped chili pepper to the stew during the sautéing stage.
6. What other herbs or spices can I use?
You can experiment with other spices like cloves, fennel seeds, or Sichuan peppercorns to add additional layers of flavor.
7. Can I use chicken broth instead of beef broth?
While beef broth complements the oxtail flavor, you can substitute it with chicken broth if you prefer a milder taste.
8. Can I make this stew in advance?
Yes, this stew tastes even better the next day as the flavors develop. Simply refrigerate it overnight and reheat before serving.
9. Can I double the recipe?
Yes, you can easily double or triple the recipe to serve a larger crowd. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Now that you have the recipe and answers to your questions, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and make this delicious Chinese oxtail stew. Enjoy the comforting flavors and warmth it brings to your table!