Cod fish balls are a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed as an appetizer or a main course. Made with fresh cod fish, these fish balls are light, flavorful, and incredibly easy to make. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply looking for a quick and tasty meal, this recipe is sure to impress. So, let’s dive into the best easy cod fish balls recipe!
– 1 lb fresh cod fish
– 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and boiled
– 1 small onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
– 1 teaspoon lemon zest
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 egg, beaten
– Vegetable oil, for frying
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add the cod fish. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Drain the fish and let it cool.
2. In a mixing bowl, mash the boiled potatoes until smooth. Add the onion, garlic, parsley, lemon zest, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
3. Once the cod fish has cooled, remove any skin and bones, and flake the fish into small pieces. Add the fish to the potato mixture and gently combine until well incorporated.
4. Shape the mixture into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Roll each fish ball in flour, shaking off any excess.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the fish balls in the pan, making sure not to overcrowd. Fry until golden brown on all sides, turning occasionally for even cooking.
6. Transfer the cooked fish balls to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil. Repeat the frying process with the remaining fish balls.
7. Serve the cod fish balls hot with your favorite dipping sauce, such as tartar sauce or aioli. Enjoy!
Now, let’s address some common questions about this delightful dish:
Q1: Can I use frozen cod fish instead of fresh?
A1: Yes, you can use frozen cod fish. Just make sure to thaw it completely before cooking.
Q2: Can I substitute the cod fish with another type of fish?
A2: While cod fish works best for this recipe, you can try using other white fish like haddock or pollock.
Q3: Can I bake the fish balls instead of frying them?
A3: Yes, you can bake the fish balls in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Q4: Can I make the fish balls in advance?
A4: Yes, you can prepare the fish balls ahead of time and refrigerate them for up to 24 hours before frying or baking.
Q5: Can I freeze the fish balls?
A5: Absolutely! Once the fish balls are cooked and cooled, place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator before reheating.
Q6: What can I serve with the cod fish balls?
A6: Cod fish balls are delicious on their own, but you can also serve them with a side of steamed vegetables, salad, or even as a filling for sandwiches.
Q7: Can I make the fish balls gluten-free?
A7: Yes, you can substitute all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour or cornstarch for a gluten-free version.
In conclusion, this best easy cod fish balls recipe is a must-try for seafood lovers. With simple ingredients and straightforward instructions, you’ll have a flavorful and satisfying dish in no time. So, gather your ingredients, get cooking, and enjoy these delectable fish balls with friends and family!