Best Easy Corn Mash Recipe Without Barley
Corn mash is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or a side dish. It is a simple yet delicious recipe that can be made with various ingredients. If you’re looking for a corn mash recipe without barley, then you’re in the right place. This article will guide you through a step-by-step process of making the best easy corn mash without barley.
– 4 cups of corn kernels
– 1 cup of milk
– 1 cup of water
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
– 1/4 cup of grated cheese (optional)
– Chopped green onions or parsley for garnish (optional)
1. In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the corn kernels and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a separate saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until warm. Do not boil.
3. In a blender or food processor, add the cooked corn kernels, warm milk, butter, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. You can adjust the consistency by adding more milk if desired.
4. Pour the mixture back into the pot and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
5. If desired, stir in the grated cheese until melted and well combined.
6. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly before serving. Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley if desired.
7. Serve the corn mash as a side dish with grilled meat or as a main course with a side of vegetables.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about corn mash without barley:
1. Can I use frozen corn instead of fresh corn?
Yes, you can use frozen corn kernels as a substitute for fresh corn. Just make sure to thaw them before cooking.
2. Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, you can make this recipe vegan by using plant-based milk and vegan butter or margarine.
3. Can I add other vegetables to the corn mash?
Absolutely! You can add cooked peas, carrots, or bell peppers to enhance the flavor and texture of the corn mash.
4. How long can I store the corn mash?
The corn mash can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
5. Can I freeze the corn mash?
Yes, you can freeze the corn mash in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat before serving.
6. Can I make a sweet version of corn mash?
Yes, you can make a sweet version of corn mash by adding sugar or honey to taste and omitting the salt and pepper.
7. Can I use canned corn instead of fresh corn?
Yes, you can use canned corn as a substitute for fresh corn. Just make sure to drain and rinse the canned corn before using.
There you have it! A delicious and easy corn mash recipe without barley. Enjoy this versatile dish as a comforting side or a satisfying main course. Bon appétit!