Beef jerky is a popular snack loved by many for its savory and chewy texture. While there are numerous flavors available in the market, nothing beats the delicious combination of Dr Pepper and jalapeno. In this article, we will explore the best and easiest Dr Pepper jalapeno beef jerky recipe that you can make at home.
– 2 pounds of beef (preferably top round or flank steak)
– 1 cup of Dr Pepper
– 1/4 cup of soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
– 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
– 1 tablespoon of onion powder
– 1 tablespoon of black pepper
– 1 tablespoon of paprika
– 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
– 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and finely chopped
1. Start by slicing the beef into thin strips, around 1/4 inch thick. It is important to cut the beef against the grain to ensure a tender jerky.
2. In a bowl, combine the Dr Pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, and chopped jalapenos. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Place the beef strips into a resealable bag or a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the beef, making sure that all strips are coated evenly. Seal the bag or cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat.
4. Preheat your oven to 175°F (80°C) or the lowest temperature setting available. If you have a food dehydrator, you can also use that instead.
5. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper to catch any drips. Place the marinated beef strips on the baking sheet, making sure they are not touching each other.
6. Bake the beef strips in the preheated oven for 4-6 hours, or until they have dried and become chewy. The exact cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the strips and your desired level of chewiness.
7. Once cooked, remove the beef jerky from the oven and let it cool completely. This will allow it to become even more chewy.
8. Store the Dr Pepper jalapeno beef jerky in an airtight container or resealable bags. It can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, or refrigerated for longer shelf life.
Now that you have learned how to make this delicious Dr Pepper jalapeno beef jerky, let’s answer some common questions.
1. Can I use a different soda instead of Dr Pepper?
Yes, you can experiment with other sodas, but Dr Pepper adds a unique flavor profile that complements the spiciness of jalapenos.
2. Can I make this recipe without jalapenos?
Absolutely! If you prefer a milder version, you can omit the jalapenos or replace them with a milder pepper variety.
3. Can I use a different cut of beef?
Yes, you can use other cuts like eye of round or sirloin, but be sure to trim any excess fat before slicing.
4. Can I use a food dehydrator instead of an oven?
Yes, a food dehydrator works perfectly for making beef jerky. Just follow the manufacturer’s instructions for drying times.
5. How long does it take to marinate the beef?
For the best flavor, marinate the beef for at least 6 hours or overnight.
6. Can I adjust the spice level?
Certainly! If you prefer a milder or hotter jerky, simply adjust the amount of cayenne pepper accordingly.
7. Can I freeze the beef jerky?
Yes, you can freeze it in airtight containers or freezer bags for up to 3 months. Just thaw it at room temperature before enjoying.
In conclusion, this Dr Pepper jalapeno beef jerky recipe is a perfect blend of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors. With simple ingredients and easy steps, you can make this delicious homemade snack that will keep you coming back for more. Enjoy!