Best Easy Earl Grey Scone Recipe
Scones are a delightful treat that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Whether you prefer them for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon tea, scones are versatile and delicious. If you’re a fan of Earl Grey tea, then you’re in for a treat with this easy Earl Grey scone recipe. The combination of the fragrant Earl Grey tea and the buttery scone creates a heavenly flavor that will leave you craving for more.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1 tablespoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 Earl Grey tea bag, contents removed
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and the contents of the Earl Grey tea bag. Make sure the tea leaves are well incorporated into the dry ingredients.
3. Add the cold, cubed butter to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or your fingertips, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the milk and vanilla extract. Slowly pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in dense scones.
5. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it comes together. Pat the dough into a circle that is about 1-inch thick.
6. Using a sharp knife or a biscuit cutter, cut the dough into desired scone shapes. Place the scones onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each scone.
7. Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg, ensuring they are evenly coated. This will give the scones a beautiful golden color when baked.
8. Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
9. Serve the Earl Grey scones warm or at room temperature. They can be enjoyed plain, with a spread of butter, or even with a dollop of clotted cream and jam.
Now, let’s answer some common questions about this delicious Earl Grey scone recipe:
1. Can I use Earl Grey tea leaves instead of a tea bag?
Yes, you can use loose Earl Grey tea leaves instead of a tea bag. Simply measure out the equivalent amount of tea leaves and add them to the dry ingredients.
2. Can I substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour substitute. However, the texture of the scones may vary slightly.
3. Can I make the scone dough in advance and bake it later?
Yes, you can prepare the scone dough ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, simply proceed with the cutting and baking instructions.
4. Can I freeze the baked scones?
Yes, you can freeze the baked scones. Allow them to cool completely, then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container before freezing.
5. Can I add other flavors to the scone dough?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different flavors by adding ingredients like citrus zest, dried fruits, or even chocolate chips to the dough.
6. Can I substitute the milk with a non-dairy alternative?
Yes, you can use a non-dairy milk substitute such as almond milk or soy milk.
7. How long will these scones stay fresh?
When stored in an airtight container at room temperature, these scones will stay fresh for up to 3 days. However, they are best enjoyed on the day they are made.
Enjoy these delightful Earl Grey scones with a cup of tea or share them with friends and family. They are sure to become a favorite treat for any occasion!