Firehouse Italian subs are a classic deli sandwich that burst with flavors. Packed with layers of cured meats, cheese, and tangy vegetables, this sandwich is a crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re looking for a quick lunch or a delicious dinner, this easy Firehouse Italian sub recipe will satisfy your cravings.
To start, gather the following ingredients:
– 1 loaf of Italian bread or sub rolls
– 1/4 pound of Genoa salami
– 1/4 pound of pepperoni
– 1/4 pound of ham
– 1/4 pound of capicola
– 1/4 pound of provolone cheese
– 1/4 cup of sliced black olives
– 1/4 cup of sliced banana peppers
– 1/4 cup of sliced red onions
– 1/4 cup of shredded lettuce
– 1/4 cup of sliced tomatoes
– 1/4 cup of Italian dressing
Now, let’s get to the recipe:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Slice the Italian bread or sub rolls horizontally, creating a top and bottom half.
3. Layer the Genoa salami, pepperoni, ham, and capicola on the bottom half of the bread.
4. Add a layer of provolone cheese on top of the cured meats.
5. Scatter black olives, banana peppers, and red onions over the cheese.
6. Place the sub in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
7. Remove from the oven and add shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes on top.
8. Drizzle Italian dressing over the vegetables.
9. Place the top half of the bread on the sub and press down gently to secure the ingredients.
10. Slice the sub into individual portions and serve.
Now that you have the recipe, let’s answer some common questions about Firehouse Italian subs:
1. Can I make this sandwich ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the sub ahead of time, but it’s best to add the lettuce, tomatoes, and dressing just before serving to keep them fresh and crisp.
2. Can I use different types of cheese?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different cheeses like mozzarella, cheddar, or even a spicy pepper jack for an extra kick.
3. Can I make this sandwich vegetarian?
Certainly! You can skip the cured meats and replace them with grilled vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant. Add some marinated artichoke hearts for a flavorful twist.
4. Can I toast the bread on a stovetop instead of using the oven?
Yes, you can toast the bread on a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Just make sure to press it down gently with a spatula to melt the cheese.
5. What other condiments can I add to the sandwich?
Besides the Italian dressing, you can add a drizzle of balsamic glaze, pesto, or even some spicy sauce like sriracha or hot pepper relish.
6. How long will the Firehouse Italian sub stay fresh?
When stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the sub can stay fresh for up to 2-3 days. However, it’s best enjoyed immediately after assembly.
7. Can I make this sub gluten-free?
Yes, you can substitute the Italian bread or sub rolls with gluten-free bread or rolls. Just make sure to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens.
There you have it, a delicious and easy Firehouse Italian sub recipe that will satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy this flavorful sandwich for lunch, dinner, or any time you need a quick and tasty meal.