Best Easy Flanken Short Ribs Recipe Slow Cooker
Short ribs are a flavorful cut of beef that is perfect for slow cooking. When cooked low and slow, they become tender and juicy, making them a great choice for a comforting and delicious meal. One of the best ways to cook short ribs is in a slow cooker, allowing the flavors to develop and the meat to become incredibly tender. If you’re looking for an easy and tasty recipe for slow cooker short ribs, look no further. Here’s our best easy flanken short ribs recipe for the slow cooker.
– 2 pounds of flanken-style short ribs
– 1 onion, thinly sliced
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 cup of beef broth
– 1/4 cup of soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the short ribs on all sides. This step is important as it adds depth of flavor to the final dish.
2. Transfer the browned short ribs to the slow cooker. Add the sliced onion and minced garlic on top.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and dried thyme. Pour this mixture over the short ribs in the slow cooker.
4. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours. The longer you cook the short ribs, the more tender they will become.
5. Once the short ribs are done cooking, remove them from the slow cooker and set aside. Skim any excess fat from the cooking liquid and discard.
6. If desired, you can thicken the cooking liquid to make a delicious sauce. To do this, pour the liquid into a saucepan and simmer over medium heat until it reduces and thickens slightly.
7. Serve the short ribs with the sauce spooned over the top. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired. They pair perfectly with mashed potatoes, rice, or crusty bread.
Now, let’s move on to some common questions about this recipe:
Q1: Can I use boneless short ribs for this recipe?
A1: Yes, boneless short ribs will work just as well in this slow cooker recipe. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as boneless short ribs may cook faster.
Q2: Can I use a different type of meat instead of beef short ribs?
A2: While this recipe is specifically designed for beef short ribs, you can experiment with other cuts of meat if you prefer. However, keep in mind that the cooking time and results may vary.
Q3: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A3: Absolutely! This recipe can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated. When you’re ready to serve, simply reheat the short ribs and sauce on the stovetop.
Q4: Can I freeze the leftovers?
A4: Yes, you can freeze the cooked short ribs and sauce in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw and reheat before serving.
Q5: Can I add vegetables to the slow cooker with the short ribs?
A5: Definitely! Feel free to add vegetables like carrots, potatoes, or mushrooms to the slow cooker for a complete one-pot meal.
Q6: Can I use a different seasoning instead of thyme?
A6: Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices to suit your taste preferences. Rosemary or oregano would be great alternatives.
Q7: Can I cook this recipe on high heat for a shorter time?
A7: Yes, you can cook the short ribs on high heat for 3-4 hours instead of low heat for 6-8 hours. Keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t overcook.
Enjoy these tender and flavorful flanken short ribs made in the slow cooker. This recipe is perfect for a cozy family meal or for entertaining guests. The melt-in-your-mouth texture and savory sauce will have everyone asking for seconds!