Best Easy Fresh Pineapple Pie Recipe
Pineapple pie is a delightful tropical dessert that combines the sweetness of ripe pineapples with a flaky pie crust. This easy recipe will guide you through the steps of creating a mouthwatering pineapple pie that will surely impress your family and friends. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a delicious homemade pie that will transport you to a sunny beachside paradise.
– 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 package of pre-made pie crusts (or homemade if you prefer)
– 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped pineapple, sugar, flour, salt, and lemon juice. Stir well to ensure all the pineapple chunks are evenly coated.
3. Allow the pineapple mixture to sit for about 15 minutes, allowing the sugar to draw out the natural juices from the fruit. This will help create a deliciously gooey filling.
4. Meanwhile, roll out one of the pie crusts and gently press it into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim off any excess dough from the edges.
5. Once the pineapple mixture has marinated, pour it into the pie crust, spreading it evenly.
6. Dot the top of the filling with small pieces of unsalted butter, which will add a rich and creamy texture to the pie.
7. Sprinkle the vanilla extract over the filling, adding a hint of aromatic flavor.
8. Roll out the second pie crust over a floured surface and cut it into thin strips. Create a lattice pattern over the filling by weaving the strips over and under each other.
9. Trim off any excess dough and crimp the edges of the pie using a fork or your fingers to seal it.
10. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg, which will give it a beautiful golden-brown color when baked.
11. Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
12. Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. This will help the filling set and make it easier to slice.
Now that you have mastered the art of making an easy fresh pineapple pie, let’s tackle some common questions that may arise:
1. Can I use canned pineapple instead of fresh pineapple?
Yes, you can use canned pineapple if fresh ones are not available. However, be sure to drain the juice from the canned pineapple before using it in the recipe.
2. Can I use a different type of pie crust?
Absolutely! You can use a homemade pie crust or even a store-bought graham cracker crust if you prefer.
3. Can I add other fruits to the pineapple pie?
Certainly! You can experiment with adding other fruits like mango or coconut to enhance the tropical flavors.
4. How should I store the leftover pie?
Cover the pie with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
5. Can I freeze the pie?
Yes, you can freeze the pie. Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, then store it in the freezer for up to three months.
6. Can I make the pie ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the pie ahead of time and refrigerate it until you are ready to bake it. Just remember to let it come to room temperature before baking.
7. Can I use a different sweetener instead of sugar?
If you prefer a healthier option, you can use honey or maple syrup as a substitute for granulated sugar. Adjust the amount according to your desired sweetness.
Now, armed with this delicious pineapple pie recipe and the answers to some common questions, you are ready to wow your loved ones with a tropical dessert that will transport them to paradise. Enjoy!