Best Easy Gluten-Free Runza Recipe
If you’re looking for a delicious and simple gluten-free meal, look no further than the classic Runza. Originating from Eastern Europe, this savory pastry filled with seasoned ground beef, onions, and cabbage is a crowd-pleaser that can easily be made gluten-free. With this easy recipe, you can enjoy the flavors of a traditional Runza without worrying about gluten.
– 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup warm milk (around 110°F)
– 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
– 1 egg
– 1 pound ground beef
– 1 small onion, finely chopped
– 2 cups shredded cabbage
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, sugar, yeast, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the warm milk, melted butter, and egg.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
6. While the dough is rising, prepare the filling. In a skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, and cabbage over medium heat until the beef is browned and the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
7. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
8. Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into 8 equal portions.
9. Roll out each portion into an oval shape, about 1/4 inch thick.
10. Spoon a generous amount of the beef and cabbage filling onto one half of each oval-shaped dough.
11. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and pinch the edges to seal.
12. Place the filled Runzas on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
13. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
14. Allow the Runzas to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Now that you have prepared these mouthwatering gluten-free Runzas, let’s answer some common questions about this recipe:
1. Can I freeze gluten-free Runzas?
Yes, you can freeze baked Runzas. Allow them to cool completely, then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm in the oven.
2. Can I use a gluten-free bread mix instead of making the dough from scratch?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free bread mix as a substitute for making the dough from scratch. Just follow the instructions on the mix packaging, then proceed with the recipe starting from step 6.
3. What other fillings can I use?
While the classic filling consists of ground beef, onions, and cabbage, you can get creative and try different fillings. Some tasty alternatives include sautéed mushrooms, Swiss chard, or even a vegetarian filling made with lentils or beans.
4. Can I use a different type of flour?
Yes, you can experiment with different gluten-free flour blends. However, keep in mind that different flours have different absorbency levels, so you may need to adjust the amount of liquid accordingly.
5. Can I make mini Runzas instead of large ones?
Absolutely! You can divide the dough into smaller portions and adjust the filling accordingly to make bite-sized or snack-sized Runzas.
6. Can I use a dairy-free substitute for the milk and butter?
Yes, you can use dairy-free alternatives such as almond milk or coconut milk for the milk, and dairy-free butter or margarine for the butter.
7. Can I make the filling ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the filling ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Just make sure to cool it completely before using it in the Runzas.
8. Can I reheat leftover Runzas?
Yes, you can reheat leftover Runzas in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
9. Are Runzas traditionally served with any dipping sauce?
While Runzas are delicious on their own, you can serve them with ketchup, mustard, or a tangy barbecue sauce for added flavor.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to try out this easy gluten-free Runza recipe. Enjoy the flavors of this traditional Eastern European dish without compromising your gluten-free lifestyle!