Greek yogurt mayonnaise is a healthier and tastier alternative to traditional mayonnaise. Made with Greek yogurt instead of oil, this recipe offers a lighter and more nutritious option that doesn’t sacrifice flavor. Whether you’re looking to reduce calories or simply want to try something new, this Greek yogurt mayonnaise recipe is a must-try.
To make this delicious condiment, you will need the following ingredients:
– 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
– 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
– 1 clove of garlic, minced
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
2. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning according to your preference. You can add more lemon juice, mustard, or salt and pepper if desired.
3. Once you have achieved the desired taste, transfer the mixture into a jar or airtight container. It is best to let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before using to allow the flavors to meld together.
4. Use the Greek yogurt mayonnaise as a healthier substitute for regular mayonnaise in your favorite recipes. It works great as a spread for sandwiches, a dressing for salads, or a dip for vegetables.
Now, let’s address some common questions about this Greek yogurt mayonnaise recipe:
1. Can I use flavored Greek yogurt instead of plain?
It is best to use plain Greek yogurt as flavored ones may alter the taste of the mayonnaise. However, if you prefer a slight hint of flavor, you can use a mild-flavored Greek yogurt.
2. Can I use non-Greek yogurt instead?
Greek yogurt has a thicker and creamier texture compared to regular yogurt, which is essential for achieving the mayonnaise-like consistency. Non-Greek yogurt may result in a thinner and runnier mayonnaise.
3. How long does Greek yogurt mayonnaise last?
The Greek yogurt mayonnaise can last up to one week when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
4. Can I add other herbs or spices to the mayonnaise?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices to customize the flavor of your Greek yogurt mayonnaise. Some popular additions include dill, parsley, paprika, or even a dash of hot sauce.
5. Can I use this mayonnaise in hot dishes?
Greek yogurt mayonnaise is best used in cold or room temperature dishes. High heat can cause the yogurt to curdle and affect the texture of the mayonnaise.
6. Is Greek yogurt mayonnaise suitable for vegans?
No, Greek yogurt mayonnaise is not suitable for vegans as it contains dairy-based Greek yogurt. However, there are vegan alternatives available in stores or you can make your own vegan mayo using plant-based ingredients.
7. How does Greek yogurt mayonnaise compare in terms of calories?
Greek yogurt mayonnaise is significantly lower in calories compared to traditional mayonnaise. It is a great option for those looking to reduce their calorie intake while still enjoying the creamy texture of mayo.
8. Can I use low-fat Greek yogurt?
Yes, you can use low-fat Greek yogurt if you prefer a lighter option. However, keep in mind that the texture may be slightly thinner compared to using full-fat Greek yogurt.
9. Can I make a larger batch of this mayonnaise?
Certainly! You can double or triple the recipe to make a larger batch. Just make sure to adjust the seasoning accordingly to maintain the flavor balance.
In conclusion, Greek yogurt mayonnaise is a versatile and healthier alternative to traditional mayonnaise. With its creamy texture and tangy flavor, it is a perfect addition to sandwiches, salads, and more. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the guilt-free pleasure of a delicious homemade mayo.