The Best Easy Hot Turkey Sausage Recipe
Turkey sausage is a flavorful and healthier alternative to traditional pork sausage. It is lower in fat and calories, making it a great option for those looking to eat healthier without sacrificing taste. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy recipe to try, look no further. This hot turkey sausage recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds and leave you wanting more.
– 1 pound ground turkey
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
– 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
– 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the spices and seasonings. Mix well to ensure they are evenly distributed.
2. Add the ground turkey to the bowl and mix with your hands until the spices are fully incorporated into the meat. Be careful not to overmix, as this can make the sausage tough.
3. Once the mixture is well combined, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the flavors to meld together and make the sausage easier to handle.
4. After the mixture has chilled, divide it into equal portions and shape each portion into a sausage shape. You can make them as thick or thin as you prefer.
5. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a small amount of oil. Place the sausages in the skillet, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until they are browned and cooked through.
6. Once the sausages are cooked, remove them from the skillet and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This will help to retain their juiciness.
7. Serve the hot turkey sausages with your favorite sides or use them in recipes that call for sausage, such as pasta dishes or breakfast casseroles.
Now that you have the recipe, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about hot turkey sausage.
Q1. Can I use ground chicken instead of ground turkey?
A1. Yes, you can substitute ground chicken for ground turkey in this recipe.
Q2. Can I make the sausage ahead of time and freeze it?
A2. Yes, you can shape the sausages and freeze them for later use. Just make sure to thaw them before cooking.
Q3. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried ones?
A3. Yes, you can use fresh herbs if you prefer. Just double the amount called for in the recipe.
Q4. How long will the sausages keep in the refrigerator?
A4. The sausages can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Q5. Can I use this recipe to make breakfast sausage patties?
A5. Yes, you can shape the mixture into patties instead of sausages.
Q6. Can I omit the crushed red pepper flakes if I don’t like spicy food?
A6. Yes, you can omit the crushed red pepper flakes if you prefer a milder flavor.
Q7. Can I use ground turkey breast instead of regular ground turkey?
A7. Yes, you can use ground turkey breast if you prefer a leaner option.
Q8. Can I grill the sausages instead of cooking them in a skillet?
A8. Yes, you can grill the sausages over medium heat until they are cooked through.
Q9. Can I use this recipe to make sausage links instead of patties?
A9. Yes, you can shape the mixture into links instead of patties. Just make sure to cook them thoroughly.
In conclusion, this hot turkey sausage recipe is not only easy to make but also packed with flavor. Whether you’re looking for a healthier alternative to pork sausage or simply enjoy the taste of turkey, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your household. Give it a try and enjoy a delicious and guilt-free meal!