Houston’s Tortilla Soup is a beloved dish that combines the flavors of Mexican cuisine with a comforting bowl of soup. With its rich tomato base, tender chicken, and crispy tortilla strips, this recipe is a must-try for any soup lover. Here, we will take a closer look at the best and easiest Houston’s Tortilla Soup recipe.
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 small onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
– Vegetable oil for frying
– Shredded cheese, diced avocado, and chopped cilantro for garnish
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper, and sauté until softened.
2. Add the cumin and chili powder to the pot and cook for another minute to release their flavors.
3. Pour in the diced tomatoes and chicken broth, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
4. Add the shredded chicken to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 10 minutes to allow the chicken to heat through.
5. While the soup is simmering, heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the tortilla strips in batches until crispy and golden brown. Transfer the strips to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
6. Ladle the hot soup into bowls and top with a handful of crispy tortilla strips. Sprinkle shredded cheese, diced avocado, and chopped cilantro over the soup for added flavor and texture.
7. Serve the Houston’s Tortilla Soup hot and enjoy!
Now, let’s move on to some commonly asked questions about this delicious soup:
1. Can I make this soup vegetarian?
Yes, you can substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth and omit the shredded chicken. The flavors will still be delicious.
2. Can I use store-bought tortilla chips instead of frying my own?
Yes, you can use store-bought tortilla chips as a shortcut, but the homemade crispy tortilla strips add a fresher and more authentic touch to the soup.
3. Is this soup spicy?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted according to your preference. If you prefer a milder soup, reduce the amount of jalapeno pepper or remove the seeds.
4. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, this soup freezes well. Allow it to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container and freezing for up to three months. Thaw and reheat on the stovetop before serving.
5. Can I add other toppings to the soup?
Absolutely! Feel free to get creative with your toppings. Sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, or even a squeeze of lime juice can all enhance the flavors of the soup.
6. Can I use rotisserie chicken instead of cooking my own chicken?
Yes, using rotisserie chicken is a great time-saving option. Simply shred the cooked chicken and add it to the soup during the final stages of cooking.
7. How can I make this soup spicier?
If you prefer a spicier soup, you can increase the amount of jalapeno pepper or add a pinch of cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
Houston’s Tortilla Soup is a comforting and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion. With its easy-to-follow recipe and customizable toppings, it’s a soup that will surely become a household favorite.