Ina Garten, also known as the Barefoot Contessa, is renowned for her delicious and approachable recipes. When it comes to comfort food, her turkey chili recipe is a winner. Packed with flavor and easy to make, it is the ideal dish for a cozy night in. Let’s dive into the details of this mouthwatering recipe and learn how to make it step by step.
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 cups chopped yellow onions
– 1 red bell pepper, chopped
– 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 teaspoons chili powder
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– 1 pound ground turkey
– 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
– 1 tablespoon brown sugar
– 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tablespoon chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions, and avocado (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and tomato paste. Cook for an additional minute to allow the spices to bloom.
3. Add the ground turkey to the pot and break it up with a spoon. Cook until the turkey is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and brown sugar. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
5. Add the black beans, Worcestershire sauce, and chipotle chili. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
7. Serve the turkey chili hot, garnished with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions, and avocado.
Now that you know how to make Ina Garten’s turkey chili recipe, let’s answer some common questions that might arise:
Q1: Can I use ground beef instead of turkey?
A1: Yes, you can substitute ground beef for turkey if you prefer. However, using turkey results in a lighter and healthier chili.
Q2: Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?
A2: Absolutely! Simply follow steps 1-5, then transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Q3: Can I freeze the leftovers?
A3: Yes, this chili freezes well. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Q4: Is this recipe spicy?
A4: The chipotle chili adds a smoky kick, but the heat level is mild. If you prefer a spicier chili, you can increase the amount of chipotle chili or add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Q5: Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
A5: Yes, you can omit the ground turkey and replace it with additional beans or vegetarian ground meat substitute.
Q6: Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?
A6: Yes, you can substitute fresh tomatoes. Use about 4-5 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled and chopped, instead of the canned crushed tomatoes.
Q7: How can I make this recipe gluten-free?
A7: This recipe is already gluten-free. Just ensure that the Worcestershire sauce you use is gluten-free as well.
In conclusion, Ina Garten’s turkey chili recipe is a fantastic choice for a hearty and comforting meal. Its simple ingredients and easy preparation make it a go-to recipe for busy weeknights or gatherings. Give it a try, and you won’t be disappointed!