Jimmy Red corn is a unique heirloom variety known for its vibrant red kernels and rich flavor. This special corn is often used to make moonshine, a homemade distilled spirit that has been a part of American culture for centuries. If you’re looking to try your hand at making moonshine, this easy Jimmy Red corn moonshine recipe is a great place to start.
– 10 pounds of Jimmy Red corn
– 5 gallons of water
– 5 pounds of sugar
– 1 packet of distiller’s yeast
– 1 cup of malted barley
1. Start by grinding the Jimmy Red corn into a coarse meal. You can use a grain mill or a food processor for this step.
2. In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the ground corn and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. After an hour, remove the pot from the heat and let it cool to room temperature. This will allow the corn to release its natural sugars.
4. Once the mixture has cooled, strain it through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth, separating the liquid from the solids. Discard the solids or save them for other recipes.
5. Return the liquid to the pot and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved completely.
6. Sprinkle the distiller’s yeast over the liquid and let it sit for 10 minutes. This will activate the yeast and start the fermentation process.
7. After 10 minutes, add the malted barley to the pot. The barley will help convert the corn’s starches into fermentable sugars.
8. Cover the pot with a clean cloth or plastic wrap and secure it tightly. Allow the mixture to ferment for 5 to 7 days, stirring once a day.
9. After the fermentation period, strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to remove any sediment or solids.
10. Transfer the liquid into a sterilized container, such as a glass jar or a food-grade plastic container. Seal the container tightly.
11. Store the container in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks to allow the flavors to meld and the moonshine to mature.
12. After the aging period, your Jimmy Red corn moonshine is ready to enjoy! Serve it chilled or use it as a base for cocktails.
Now, let’s dive into some common questions about making Jimmy Red corn moonshine:
Q1. Can I use any other type of corn for this recipe?
A1. While Jimmy Red corn is preferred for its unique flavor, you can use other varieties such as dent corn or flint corn as alternatives.
Q2. How strong is the final moonshine?
A2. The alcohol content of moonshine can vary, but it typically ranges from 40% to 60% ABV (alcohol by volume).
Q3. Can I add flavorings to the moonshine?
A3. Absolutely! You can experiment with adding fruits, herbs, or spices during the fermentation or aging process to create unique flavors.
Q4. Do I need a special license to make moonshine at home?
A4. In the United States, it is illegal to distill spirits without a proper license. Make sure to check your local laws and regulations before attempting to make moonshine.
Q5. How long does the moonshine last?
A5. Moonshine can be stored for a long time if kept in a sealed container in a cool, dark place. It can last for several years, although the flavors may change over time.
Q6. Can I use dried corn instead of fresh?
A6. Fresh corn is preferred for its higher sugar content, but you can use dried corn. Just make sure to soak it in water overnight before grinding.
Q7. What is the purpose of malted barley in the recipe?
A7. Malted barley contains enzymes that help break down the corn’s starches into fermentable sugars, aiding in the fermentation process.
Q8. Can I double or halve the recipe?
A8. Yes, you can adjust the quantities based on your needs. Just make sure to maintain the correct ratio of ingredients.
Q9. How do I know when the fermentation is complete?
A9. You will notice a decrease in activity, such as bubbling or fizzing, and the liquid will become clear. A hydrometer can also be used to measure the specific gravity, indicating the completion of fermentation.
With this easy Jimmy Red corn moonshine recipe, you can embark on a craft distilling adventure in the comfort of your own home. Just remember to enjoy responsibly and always abide by your local regulations. Cheers!