Best Easy Knoephla Soup Recipe With Bacon
When it comes to comfort food, nothing quite hits the spot like a warm bowl of soup. And if you’re looking for a hearty and delicious option, then Knoephla Soup with bacon is the way to go. This German-inspired dish is packed with flavor and will leave you feeling satisfied and content. So, without further ado, here is the best easy Knoephla Soup recipe with bacon.
– 4 slices of bacon, chopped
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 3 cups of chicken broth
– 1 cup of heavy cream
– 2 cups of all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
– 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme
– Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
1. In a large soup pot, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside, leaving the bacon drippings in the pot.
2. Add the diced onion to the pot and sauté until it becomes translucent. Then, add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
3. Add the cubed potatoes, chicken broth, heavy cream, salt, black pepper, and dried thyme to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
4. While the soup is simmering, prepare the Knoephla dumplings. In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and enough water to form a soft dough. Mix until well combined.
5. Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the dough into a thin sheet. Cut the sheet into small squares or diamond shapes, about 1 inch in size.
6. Drop the Knoephla dumplings into the simmering soup, stirring gently to avoid sticking. Let them cook for about 10 minutes, or until they float to the surface.
7. Once the dumplings are cooked, taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can add more salt and pepper according to your taste.
8. Ladle the Knoephla Soup into bowls, and garnish with the crispy bacon and freshly chopped parsley.
9. Serve hot and enjoy the comforting flavors of this delicious Knoephla Soup with bacon.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about Knoephla Soup:
1. What are Knoephla dumplings?
Knoephla dumplings are small, chewy dumplings made from a simple mixture of flour, water, and salt. They are a traditional German dumpling used in soups and stews.
2. Can I make the Knoephla dumplings ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the dumplings in advance and store them in the refrigerator. Just be sure to keep them covered to prevent them from drying out.
3. Can I use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon?
Yes, you can substitute turkey bacon for regular bacon if you prefer a healthier option. It will still add a delicious smoky flavor to the soup.
4. Can I freeze Knoephla Soup?
Yes, you can freeze Knoephla Soup. Just make sure to let it cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. It will last for up to three months in the freezer.
5. Can I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth?
Yes, you can use vegetable broth if you prefer a vegetarian version of Knoephla Soup. It will still result in a flavorful and satisfying soup.
6. Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Absolutely! Feel free to add vegetables like carrots, celery, or corn to the soup for extra flavor and texture.
7. How long does it take to make Knoephla Soup?
The total cooking time for this recipe is approximately 40 minutes, including preparation and simmering.
8. Can I use gluten-free flour to make the dumplings?
Yes, you can use gluten-free flour to make the dumplings if you have dietary restrictions. Just make sure to adjust the amount of water accordingly, as gluten-free flours may require more liquid.
9. Can I use half-and-half instead of heavy cream?
Yes, you can substitute half-and-half for heavy cream if you prefer a lighter version of the soup. However, the soup may not be as rich and creamy.
In conclusion, this easy Knoephla Soup recipe with bacon is the perfect comfort food option for those cold winter nights or when you need a satisfying meal. With its flavorful broth, chewy dumplings, and smoky bacon, it’s sure to become a favorite in your household. So, grab a bowl and indulge in the warmth and deliciousness of this German-inspired soup!