Best Easy Low Carb Bagel Recipe With Greek Yogurt
Bagels are a beloved breakfast staple, but for those following a low-carb or keto diet, traditional bagels are off-limits due to their high carbohydrate content. Thankfully, with a few simple ingredient swaps, you can enjoy a delicious and low-carb bagel that won’t derail your healthy eating plan. This recipe combines the goodness of Greek yogurt with a few pantry staples to create a satisfying and guilt-free bagel experience.
– 1 cup almond flour
– 1 cup Greek yogurt
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
– 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
– 2 eggs, beaten
– Sesame seeds or poppy seeds for topping (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, Greek yogurt, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder (if using). Mix well until a dough forms.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
4. Using your thumb, create a hole in the center of each dough ball and gently stretch it to form a bagel shape. Ensure the hole is wide enough as it will shrink slightly during baking.
5. Place the shaped bagels onto the prepared baking sheet.
6. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Brush the beaten eggs over the top of each bagel, ensuring they are fully coated.
7. If desired, sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds on top of the bagels for added flavor and texture.
8. Bake the bagels in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and firm to the touch.
9. Remove the bagels from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack before serving.
These low carb bagels are not only easy to make but also incredibly versatile. You can enjoy them on their own or customize them with your favorite toppings. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese: Spread cream cheese on a toasted bagel and top with thinly sliced smoked salmon for a classic combination.
2. Avocado and Tomato: Mash a ripe avocado and spread it on a toasted bagel. Top with sliced tomatoes and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
3. Bacon and Egg: Fry an egg and place it on a toasted bagel. Add cooked bacon for a satisfying breakfast sandwich.
4. Caprese: Spread pesto on a toasted bagel and top with sliced fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
5. Peanut Butter and Banana: Spread natural peanut butter on a toasted bagel and top with sliced bananas for a sweet and satisfying treat.
Now, let’s move on to some common questions about this low carb bagel recipe:
1. Can I use a different flour instead of almond flour?
Yes, you can use coconut flour instead of almond flour, but the texture and taste may be slightly different.
2. How long do these bagels stay fresh?
Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and they should stay fresh for up to 5 days.
3. Can I freeze these bagels?
Absolutely! These bagels freeze well. Just make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or store them in a freezer-safe bag.
4. Can I use regular yogurt instead of Greek yogurt?
Greek yogurt is recommended for this recipe as it has a thicker consistency and higher protein content. Regular yogurt may alter the texture of the bagels.
5. Is it necessary to brush the bagels with beaten eggs?
Brushing the bagels with beaten eggs gives them a nice glossy finish. However, if you prefer not to use eggs, you can omit this step.
6. Can I make mini bagels instead of regular-sized ones?
Yes, you can make smaller bagels by dividing the dough into more portions. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
7. Can I add other spices or flavors to the dough?
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different herbs, spices, or even cheese to add extra flavor to the bagels.
8. Are these bagels gluten-free?
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free as it uses almond flour instead of wheat flour.
9. Can I use this recipe to make sweet bagels?
While this recipe is primarily intended for savory bagels, you can add a touch of sweetness by incorporating a low-carb sweetener and cinnamon to the dough.
With this easy low carb bagel recipe, you can indulge in a tasty breakfast treat without compromising your low-carb lifestyle. Enjoy the endless possibilities of toppings and fillings, and start your day off right!