Matcha is a powdered green tea that has become increasingly popular due to its unique flavor and health benefits. One of the best ways to enjoy matcha is by incorporating it into a light and fluffy sponge cake. If you’re a matcha lover or simply looking to try something new, then this easy matcha sponge cake recipe is perfect for you.
– 4 eggs
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons matcha powder
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup milk
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, matcha powder, baking powder, and salt.
4. Gradually add the dry mixture to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined.
5. Gently fold in the melted butter until fully incorporated.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
With its vibrant green color and delicate texture, this matcha sponge cake is a treat for both the eyes and taste buds. The matcha adds a subtle earthy flavor to the cake, making it a perfect dessert for any occasion. Whether you’re serving it at a dinner party or enjoying it with a cup of tea, this cake is sure to impress.
Now, let’s answer some common questions about this matcha sponge cake recipe:
1. Can I use a different size cake pan?
Yes, you can use a different size cake pan, but keep in mind that the baking time may vary. Adjust the baking time accordingly to ensure the cake is fully cooked.
2. Can I substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour to make this cake gluten-free.
3. Can I use a different type of milk?
Yes, you can use any type of milk you prefer, such as almond milk or soy milk. Just make sure it’s unsweetened.
4. Can I skip the butter?
The butter adds moisture and richness to the cake, but if you prefer a lighter texture, you can omit it. However, the cake may be slightly less moist.
5. Can I add frosting or glaze to the cake?
Absolutely! This matcha sponge cake can be served as is, or you can add your favorite frosting or glaze to enhance the flavor.
6. How should I store the cake?
Once cooled, store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also refrigerate it for longer shelf life.
7. Can I freeze the cake?
Yes, you can freeze the cake for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag or container before freezing. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to give this easy matcha sponge cake recipe a try. Enjoy the delightful combination of matcha and fluffy sponge cake in every bite!