Best Easy Neapolitan Margherita Pizza Recipe
When it comes to iconic Italian dishes, few can compare to the classic Neapolitan Margherita pizza. With its simple yet delicious combination of flavors, this pizza has become a favorite all around the world. If you’re a fan of this traditional dish and want to recreate it at home, we have the perfect recipe for you. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making the best easy Neapolitan Margherita pizza.
– 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– 1 cup of warm water
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 cup of tomato sauce
– 2 cups of fresh mozzarella cheese
– Fresh basil leaves
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
3. Stir the mixture until it forms a sticky dough. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm area for about 1-2 hours until it doubles in size.
5. Preheat your oven to the highest temperature it can reach. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven while preheating.
6. Punch down the risen dough and divide it into two equal portions. Roll out each portion into a thin round shape.
7. Transfer the rolled-out dough onto a baking sheet or a pizza peel if you have one.
8. Spread half of the tomato sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a small border for the crust. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Tear the mozzarella cheese into small pieces and distribute it evenly over the sauce.
10. Slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone or place the baking sheet directly into the oven.
11. Bake the pizza for about 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
12. Remove the pizza from the oven and top it with fresh basil leaves.
Now, let’s move on to some common questions about making Neapolitan Margherita pizza:
1. Can I use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast?
Yes, you can substitute instant yeast for active dry yeast in the same quantity.
2. Should I use fresh or dried basil for this recipe?
Fresh basil is recommended as it adds a vibrant flavor to the pizza. However, you can use dried basil if fresh isn’t available.
3. Can I use pre-made pizza dough?
Yes, you can use pre-made pizza dough if you’re short on time. Just make sure to follow the package instructions for baking.
4. Can I add toppings like pepperoni or mushrooms?
Traditionally, Margherita pizza only includes tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil. However, feel free to add your favorite toppings if you prefer.
5. Can I freeze the dough for later use?
Yes, you can freeze the dough after it has risen. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before freezing.
6. Can I use a regular baking sheet instead of a pizza stone?
Yes, a regular baking sheet will work fine if you don’t have a pizza stone. Just make sure to preheat the baking sheet before placing the pizza on it.
7. How long does the dough need to rise?
The dough needs to rise for about 1-2 hours until it doubles in size. However, the rising time may vary depending on the temperature of your kitchen.
Now that you have the recipe and answers to common questions, you’re ready to make the best easy Neapolitan Margherita pizza at home. Enjoy the delicious flavors of Italy right from your own kitchen!