Best Easy O’Charley’s Yeast Rolls Recipe
If you have ever been to O’Charley’s, you know that their yeast rolls are absolutely delicious. These warm, fluffy rolls are a highlight of any meal. Luckily, you can recreate that same amazing taste at home with this easy O’Charley’s yeast rolls recipe. Let’s dive right in!
– 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
– 1 cup warm water
– ¼ cup granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 egg
– ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
– 4 cups all-purpose flour
– ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (for brushing)
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, salt, egg, melted butter, and yeast mixture. Mix well.
3. Gradually add the flour to the mixture, one cup at a time, stirring after each addition. The dough will become thick and slightly sticky.
4. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
5. Grease a large bowl with oil and place the dough inside. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
7. Punch down the dough to release any air bubbles and transfer it onto a floured surface. Roll it out into a rectangle shape, about ½ inch thick.
8. Brush the melted butter all over the dough, making sure to cover every inch.
9. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into small squares or rectangles, about 2×2 inches in size.
10. Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet, leaving a small gap between each one.
11. Cover the rolls with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for an additional 30 minutes.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until the rolls turn golden brown.
13. Remove from the oven and brush with additional melted butter.
Your homemade O’Charley’s yeast rolls are now ready to be devoured! They are best served warm and fresh out of the oven.
Here are some commonly asked questions about this recipe:
Q1. Can I use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast?
A1. Yes, you can substitute instant yeast for active dry yeast. However, you will not need to dissolve the instant yeast in water. Simply add it directly to the dry ingredients.
Q2. Can I freeze the dough for later use?
A2. Yes, you can freeze the dough after it has risen. Simply shape it into rolls, place them on a baking sheet, and freeze until solid. Then transfer the frozen rolls to a freezer bag. When ready to bake, thaw the rolls in the refrigerator overnight and follow the baking instructions as usual.
Q3. Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
A3. Yes, you can use whole wheat flour, but the rolls may turn out slightly denser. You may need to adjust the amount of flour and water used to achieve the desired consistency.
Q4. Can I make the rolls smaller or larger?
A4. Yes, you can adjust the size of the rolls to your preference. Just remember to adjust the baking time accordingly. Smaller rolls may require less time, while larger rolls may need more time to bake.
Q5. Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
A5. Yes, you can use salted butter if that’s what you have on hand. Just remember to reduce the amount of salt added to the dough accordingly.
Q6. Can I use a stand mixer with a dough hook to knead the dough?
A6. Yes, you can use a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment to knead the dough. Simply mix the ingredients together on low speed until a dough forms, then increase the speed to medium and knead for about 5 minutes.
Q7. Can I add any additional flavors, such as garlic or herbs?
A7. Absolutely! Feel free to customize the rolls to your liking by adding garlic powder, dried herbs, or even grated cheese to the dough before kneading. Just be mindful of the additional flavors and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Enjoy these homemade O’Charley’s yeast rolls as a side to any meal or on their own as a snack. They will surely impress your family and friends with their irresistible aroma and taste!