Best Easy Oxtail Stew Recipe Hawaii
Hawaii is not only known for its stunning beaches and picturesque landscapes but also for its delicious and unique cuisine. One dish that stands out from the rest is the mouthwatering Oxtail Stew. This hearty and flavorful dish has been a favorite among locals and tourists alike for many years. If you’re looking to recreate this Hawaii classic at home, we’ve got the perfect recipe for you!
– 2 pounds of oxtail, cut into 2-inch pieces
– 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– 1 onion, diced
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 carrots, sliced
– 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 2 stalks of celery, sliced
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 teaspoon of thyme
– 1 teaspoon of paprika
– 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
– 4 cups of beef broth
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the oxtail pieces and brown them on all sides. This will help seal in the flavors and create a rich base for the stew.
2. Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside. In the same pot, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic becomes fragrant.
3. Add the sliced carrots, cubed potatoes, and sliced celery to the pot. Stir them together with the onion and garlic, allowing the vegetables to cook for a few minutes.
4. Return the browned oxtail to the pot and add the bay leaf, thyme, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. These ingredients will enhance the flavors of the stew and give it that authentic Hawaiian taste.
5. Pour in the beef broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Let the stew simmer for about 2 hours, or until the oxtail becomes tender and falls off the bone.
6. After 2 hours, remove the lid and season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
7. Continue simmering the stew for another 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
8. Once the stew is ready, remove the bay leaf and serve it hot. You can garnish it with chopped parsley or green onions for an extra touch of freshness.
Now that you have the recipe for the Best Easy Oxtail Stew, it’s time to answer some common questions about this delicious dish:
Q1. Can I use a slow cooker instead of a pot?
A1. Yes, you can transfer the browned oxtail and sautéed vegetables to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
Q2. Can I use a different type of meat instead of oxtail?
A2. While oxtail gives the stew a unique flavor and texture, you can substitute it with beef stew meat if desired.
Q3. Can I freeze the leftover stew?
A3. Absolutely! Oxtail stew freezes well, so you can enjoy it at a later time. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container.
Q4. What can I serve with Oxtail Stew?
A4. Oxtail stew pairs well with steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or crusty bread.
Q5. Can I add other vegetables to the stew?
A5. Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite vegetables like bell peppers or green beans to enhance the flavor and nutritional value.
Q6. Can I make this stew spicy?
A6. If you enjoy a bit of heat, you can add a dash of hot sauce or red pepper flakes to the stew.
Q7. Can I make this stew in advance?
A7. Yes, oxtail stew tastes even better the next day as the flavors have more time to meld together. Just reheat it gently on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to put on your apron and start cooking this delectable Oxtail Stew Hawaii style. Enjoy the flavors of the islands right in the comfort of your own home!