Best Easy Patti Labelle Fried Turkey Wings Recipe
When it comes to soul food, Patti Labelle is a name that often comes to mind. Known for her delicious dishes and incredible voice, Patti Labelle has become an icon in the culinary world. One of her most popular recipes is her fried turkey wings. If you’re a fan of crispy, flavorful wings, then this recipe is a must-try. Let’s dive into the details of this mouthwatering dish.
– 4 turkey wings
– 2 cups buttermilk
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon paprika
– 1 tablespoon garlic powder
– 1 tablespoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– Vegetable oil for frying
1. Start by cleaning the turkey wings thoroughly and patting them dry with paper towels.
2. Place the wings in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over them. Make sure the wings are fully coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for best results. This step helps to tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavor.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to ensure all the spices are evenly distributed.
4. Preheat a large skillet or deep fryer with vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
5. Remove the wings from the buttermilk, allowing any excess to drip off. Dredge the wings in the flour mixture, making sure they are thoroughly coated.
6. Carefully place the wings in the hot oil, being cautious not to overcrowd the skillet or fryer. Fry the wings for about 8-10 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
7. Once cooked, transfer the wings to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
8. Serve the wings immediately while they are still hot and crispy. They pair perfectly with a side of collard greens and macaroni and cheese.
Now, let’s move on to some commonly asked questions about Patti Labelle’s fried turkey wings recipe:
1. Can I use chicken wings instead of turkey wings?
Yes, you can substitute chicken wings for turkey wings if you prefer. However, the cooking time may vary, so make sure to adjust accordingly.
2. Can I use a different type of flour?
Yes, you can use alternative flours such as cornmeal or a gluten-free flour blend. Keep in mind that the texture and taste may differ slightly.
3. Can I bake the wings instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the wings in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for about 45-50 minutes, flipping them halfway through. However, the result may not be as crispy as frying.
4. How can I make the wings spicier?
If you prefer a spicier flavor, you can add cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the flour mixture. Adjust the amount according to your desired level of heat.
5. Can I prepare the wings in advance?
While the wings are best enjoyed immediately after frying, you can prepare them ahead of time and reheat them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15 minutes.
6. How can I store leftovers?
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven to maintain their crispiness.
7. Can I freeze the wings?
Yes, you can freeze the wings after frying. Allow them to cool completely, then place them in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and then bake them in the oven until heated through.
Patti Labelle’s fried turkey wings recipe is a true crowd-pleaser. With its simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can recreate this soulful dish in your own kitchen. Whether it’s for a family gathering or a special occasion, these wings are sure to be a hit. So, get cooking and enjoy the flavors of Patti Labelle’s famous recipe!