Phyllo crisps are a delightful and easy-to-make treat that can be enjoyed any time of the year. With their crispy, flaky texture and sweet filling, they are sure to please everyone’s taste buds. One of the best variations of this recipe is the Cranberry Oat Phyllo Crisps. Not only do they offer a burst of tartness from the cranberries, but they also provide a wholesome crunch from the oats.
To make these delicious Cranberry Oat Phyllo Crisps, you will need the following ingredients:
– 1 package of phyllo dough (thawed)
– 1 cup of dried cranberries
– 1 cup of rolled oats
– 1/2 cup of sugar
– 1/2 cup of melted butter
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
Now, let’s dive into the recipe:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the dried cranberries, rolled oats, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
3. Carefully unroll the phyllo dough and cover it with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out.
4. Take one sheet of phyllo dough and brush it lightly with melted butter. Place another sheet on top and repeat the process until you have used about five sheets.
5. Cut the stacked phyllo dough into smaller rectangles or squares, depending on your preference.
6. Spoon a small amount of the cranberry oat mixture onto the center of each phyllo rectangle.
7. Fold the phyllo dough over the filling, creating a pocket or triangle shape. Press the edges gently to seal.
8. Place the filled phyllo crisps onto the prepared baking sheet and brush them with melted butter.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
10. Once baked, remove the phyllo crisps from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
11. If desired, dust the cooled phyllo crisps with powdered sugar before serving.
Now that you have the recipe, let’s answer some common questions about these mouthwatering Cranberry Oat Phyllo Crisps:
1. Can I use fresh cranberries instead of dried ones?
Yes, you can use fresh cranberries, but make sure to chop them into smaller pieces and adjust the sugar accordingly.
2. Can I substitute the rolled oats with another type of grain?
Certainly! If you prefer a different grain, such as quinoa or shredded coconut, feel free to experiment with the recipe.
3. Can I freeze the phyllo crisps for later use?
Yes, you can freeze the unbaked phyllo crisps. Just make sure to layer them between parchment paper and seal them in an airtight container.
4. Can I add other ingredients to the filling?
Absolutely! You can add chopped nuts, cinnamon, or even a sprinkle of orange zest to enhance the flavor.
5. Can I use margarine instead of butter?
While margarine can be used as a substitute, butter will provide a richer and more flavorful taste.
6. Can I make these phyllo crisps ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the filling in advance and refrigerate it. Assemble and bake the phyllo crisps when ready to serve.
7. Can I use store-bought phyllo dough?
Yes, store-bought phyllo dough works perfectly fine for this recipe. Just make sure to follow the package instructions for thawing.
8. Can I make these phyllo crisps vegan-friendly?
Yes, you can use vegan butter substitutes and replace the sugar with a vegan-friendly sweetener like maple syrup or agave nectar.
9. How long do these phyllo crisps stay fresh?
When stored in an airtight container at room temperature, they can stay fresh for up to three days.
So, there you have it – a delectable recipe for Cranberry Oat Phyllo Crisps, along with some answers to common questions. Enjoy these tasty treats as a snack, dessert, or even as accompaniments to a hot cup of tea.