Popcorn chicken is a classic snack that is loved by both children and adults. Its bite-sized pieces make it easy to enjoy and perfect for parties or movie nights. While the traditional method of frying popcorn chicken is delicious, baking it offers a healthier alternative without sacrificing taste. If you’re looking for the best easy popcorn chicken recipe that is baked, look no further!
– 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– ½ teaspoon black pepper
– 2 eggs, beaten
– Cooking spray
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
3. Dip each piece of chicken into the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off.
4. Roll the chicken pieces into the flour mixture, making sure they are well coated.
5. Place the coated chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet, making sure they are evenly spaced.
6. Lightly spray the chicken pieces with cooking spray to help them turn golden brown and crispy.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and crispy on the outside.
8. Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Now, let’s move on to some common questions about this delicious baked popcorn chicken recipe:
1. Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use chicken thighs if you prefer. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as thighs may take a bit longer to cook.
2. Can I use a gluten-free flour substitute?
Absolutely! You can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
3. Can I add different spices for extra flavor?
Yes, feel free to experiment with different spices and seasonings to suit your taste. Adding some cayenne pepper for a spicy kick or smoked paprika for a smoky flavor are great options.
4. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Just reheat in the oven to maintain their crispy texture.
5. Can I use panko breadcrumbs instead of flour?
Yes, using panko breadcrumbs can give the popcorn chicken an extra crunch. Simply dip the chicken pieces in beaten eggs, then roll them in panko breadcrumbs before baking.
6. What dipping sauces go well with this popcorn chicken?
Popular options include barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, honey mustard, or even a spicy sriracha mayo.
7. Can I make this recipe in an air fryer?
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for an air fryer. Just follow the same coating and cooking instructions, but air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 10-12 minutes.
8. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
While the popcorn chicken is best when freshly baked, you can prepare the chicken in advance and store it in the fridge for a few hours before baking.
9. Can I use chicken tenders instead of cutting chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces?
Yes, using chicken tenders is a convenient option. You can either leave them as is or cut them into bite-sized pieces if desired.
With this easy baked popcorn chicken recipe, you can enjoy a healthier version of a popular snack without compromising on flavor. It’s a crowd-pleasing dish that will have everyone coming back for more!