Puff Puff is a popular Nigerian street snack that is loved by many. This deep-fried dough is soft, fluffy, and absolutely delicious. While the traditional recipe calls for simple ingredients like flour, yeast, sugar, and water, adding milk and egg to the mix can take these treats to a whole new level. In this article, we will share the best easy Puff Puff recipe with milk and egg.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1 cup milk
– 1 egg
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– Vegetable oil for frying
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm milk. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until frothy.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture and beaten egg.
3. Mix the ingredients together until a sticky dough forms. You can use a wooden spoon or your hands to do this.
4. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or pot over medium heat. Make sure there is enough oil to fully submerge the puff puff.
6. Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, drop spoonfuls of the dough into the hot oil. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan to allow the puff puff to puff up properly.
7. Fry the puff puff for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
8. Repeat the process with the remaining dough until it is all fried.
9. Serve the Puff Puff warm and enjoy!
Now that you have the best easy Puff Puff recipe with milk and egg, let’s answer some common questions:
1. Can I use self-rising flour instead of all-purpose flour?
No, it is best to use all-purpose flour as self-rising flour already contains leavening agents, which may affect the texture of the puff puff.
2. Can I substitute the milk with water?
Yes, you can use water instead of milk, but the milk adds richness and flavor to the puff puff.
3. Can I add other flavors or spices to the dough?
Absolutely! You can add vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon, or even grated coconut to enhance the taste.
4. Can I make the dough ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the dough in advance and refrigerate it overnight. Just make sure to let it come to room temperature before frying.
5. Can I freeze the puff puff?
Yes, you can freeze the puff puff after frying. Allow them to cool completely, then store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. To reheat, place them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 5 minutes.
6. Can I use a different type of oil for frying?
Yes, you can use any vegetable oil with a high smoke point, such as canola or sunflower oil.
7. Can I make mini puff puffs instead of large ones?
Absolutely! Just use a smaller scoop or teaspoon to drop the dough into the oil. Adjust the frying time accordingly.
Puff Puff is a delightful treat that can be enjoyed as a snack or dessert. With this easy recipe, you can make these fluffy balls of goodness in no time. So gather your ingredients, follow the instructions, and indulge in the deliciousness of homemade Puff Puff!