Rao’s Tomato Soup is a classic Italian recipe that is loved by many for its rich and comforting flavors. Made with simple ingredients, this soup is easy to prepare and can be enjoyed as a starter or a main course. Here is the best and easiest Rao’s Tomato Soup recipe that you can try at home.
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
– 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
– 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
2. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and broth, and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chopped basil leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the soup to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes to let the flavors meld together.
4. Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy. Be careful when blending hot liquids, as they can splatter. If using a regular blender, blend in batches and then return the soup to the pot.
5. Stir in the heavy cream, and simmer for another 5 minutes to warm the soup through. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese. Serve hot with crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwiches for a complete meal.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about Rao’s Tomato Soup:
1. Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes if you prefer. Simply blanch and peel them before adding them to the soup.
2. Can I substitute the heavy cream with a lighter alternative?
Yes, you can use half-and-half or milk instead of heavy cream if you want to reduce the calorie content. However, the soup may be slightly less creamy.
3. Can I freeze Rao’s Tomato Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Just make sure to cool it completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container.
4. Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
Certainly! You can add diced carrots, celery, or bell peppers for extra flavor and texture.
5. Can I make this soup vegan?
Yes, you can make it vegan by using vegetable broth and omitting the heavy cream. The soup will still be delicious and flavorful.
6. Can I make Rao’s Tomato Soup in advance?
Yes, you can make the soup a day ahead and refrigerate it. Just reheat it gently on the stovetop before serving.
7. Can I adjust the consistency of the soup?
If you prefer a thinner soup, you can add more broth or water. Alternatively, if you want a thicker soup, simmer it for a longer time to reduce the liquid.
Rao’s Tomato Soup is a comforting and satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion. With this easy recipe, you can recreate the flavors of an authentic Italian tomato soup right in your own kitchen. Enjoy!