Best Easy Recipe for Creamed Tomatoes
Creamed tomatoes are a classic comfort food that is perfect for any occasion. This simple yet delicious dish brings out the natural sweetness of tomatoes and combines it with the creamy goodness of dairy. Whether served as a side dish or as a main course, creamed tomatoes are sure to satisfy your taste buds. Here is the best easy recipe for creamed tomatoes that you can try at home.
– 4 large tomatoes
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon sugar
– Fresh basil leaves for garnish
1. Start by blanching the tomatoes. Bring a pot of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water. Cut a small “X” on the bottom of each tomato and carefully drop them into the boiling water. Let them cook for about 30 seconds, then transfer them to the ice water to cool. Once cool, peel off the skin and dice the tomatoes.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for about 1 minute to remove the raw flour taste.
3. Gradually pour in the heavy cream while whisking constantly. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Stir in the diced tomatoes, salt, black pepper, and sugar. Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
5. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. If the mixture is too thick, you can add a splash of milk or cream to thin it out.
6. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
7. Serve the creamed tomatoes hot alongside your favorite main course or as a standalone dish. They pair exceptionally well with grilled meats, roasted vegetables, or even pasta.
Questions and Answers:
1. Can I use canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes?
Yes, you can use canned diced tomatoes if you don’t have fresh ones on hand. Just make sure to drain them well before adding them to the skillet.
2. Is it possible to make this recipe dairy-free?
Certainly! You can substitute the heavy cream with coconut cream or a dairy-free alternative such as almond or soy milk. Use dairy-free butter as a replacement for the unsalted butter.
3. Can I add other vegetables to this dish?
Absolutely! Creamed tomatoes are versatile, and you can add other vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms to enhance the flavor and texture.
4. How long can I store creamed tomatoes in the refrigerator?
Creamed tomatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop before serving.
5. Can I freeze creamed tomatoes?
Yes, you can freeze creamed tomatoes. Allow them to cool completely, then transfer to freezer-safe containers or ziplock bags. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
6. Can I use dried basil instead of fresh basil?
While fresh basil leaves provide a vibrant flavor, you can substitute them with dried basil. Use about half the amount of dried basil compared to fresh basil.
7. Can I make this recipe spicy?
If you enjoy a little kick, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce to the creamed tomatoes while they simmer. Adjust the amount according to your preferred level of spiciness.