Best Easy Red Lentil Bread Recipe
If you love baking bread and are looking to try something new, this easy red lentil bread recipe is a must-try. Packed with protein and nutrients, this bread is not only delicious but also healthy. The red lentils add a unique flavor and texture to the bread, making it a perfect addition to your breakfast or lunch. So, grab your apron and let’s get baking!
– 1 cup red lentils
– 2 cups water
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon instant yeast
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 tablespoon honey
1. Rinse the red lentils thoroughly and place them in a pot with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the lentils are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain any excess water and set aside to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, instant yeast, and salt. Mix well.
3. Once the lentils have cooled, add them to the flour mixture. Mix until well combined.
4. Add the olive oil and honey to the mixture. Mix again until the dough comes together.
5. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
6. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
7. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a loaf pan with some olive oil.
8. Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Shape it into a loaf and place it in the prepared loaf pan.
9. Cover the loaf pan with the kitchen towel again and let the dough rise for another 30 minutes.
10. Bake the bread in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
11. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Now that you’ve made this delicious red lentil bread, let’s answer some common questions about it:
1. Can I use other types of lentils?
Yes, you can use other types of lentils such as green or brown lentils. However, the flavor and texture of the bread may vary.
2. Is this bread gluten-free?
No, this bread recipe uses all-purpose flour, which contains gluten. If you need a gluten-free option, you can try using a gluten-free flour blend instead.
3. Can I add other ingredients to the bread?
Absolutely! You can customize this recipe by adding herbs, spices, or even dried fruits and nuts to the dough for extra flavor and texture.
4. How should I store the bread?
Once completely cooled, store the bread in an airtight container or a bread bag at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze it for longer storage.
5. Can I make this bread without a loaf pan?
Yes, if you don’t have a loaf pan, you can shape the dough into a round or oval shape and bake it on a baking sheet. Just make sure to grease the baking sheet or use parchment paper to prevent sticking.
6. Can I make this bread without honey?
Yes, if you prefer not to use honey, you can substitute it with maple syrup or agave nectar. The sweetness level may vary, so adjust accordingly.
7. Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can replace a portion or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. Keep in mind that whole wheat flour may result in a denser texture compared to using all-purpose flour.
Enjoy your homemade red lentil bread as a delicious and healthy alternative to regular bread. Experiment with different flavors and toppings to make it your own. Happy baking!