Best Easy Round Rock Donuts Recipe
Round Rock Donuts, located in Round Rock, Texas, is famous for its delicious and mouthwatering donuts that attract locals and tourists alike. If you can’t make it to Round Rock but still want to indulge in their delectable treats, we have an easy recipe that will allow you to recreate their iconic donuts at home. So, grab your apron and get ready to satisfy your sweet tooth with this delightful recipe!
– 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
– ⅔ cup granulated sugar
– 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
– ¼ teaspoon baking soda
– 1 teaspoon salt
– ⅔ cup buttermilk
– 2 large eggs
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Vegetable oil, for frying
– 1 cup powdered sugar (for coating)
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
3. Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix; the batter should be slightly lumpy.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large pot until it reaches 375°F (190°C). If you don’t have a thermometer, you can test the oil by dropping a small amount of batter into it. If it sizzles and floats to the surface, the oil is ready for frying.
5. Using a donut cutter or a round cookie cutter, cut out the donut shapes from the dough. You can also use the cap of a water bottle to make the donut holes.
6. Carefully drop the donuts into the hot oil, frying them in small batches for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to flip them over.
7. Once the donuts are cooked, transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
8. While the donuts are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar to coat them evenly.
9. Serve the donuts immediately to enjoy them at their best. They are best consumed on the same day they are made.
Now that you have the recipe, it’s time to get baking! Enjoy these homemade Round Rock Donuts with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk. They are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a sweet treat any time of the day!
1. Can I use any other type of flour for this recipe?
Yes, you can use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour for a lighter texture.
2. Can I substitute buttermilk with regular milk?
Yes, you can substitute buttermilk with an equal amount of regular milk. However, the donuts may not have the same tangy flavor.
3. Can I use a different type of oil for frying?
Yes, you can use vegetable, canola, or peanut oil for frying the donuts.
4. How long will the donuts stay fresh?
The donuts are best consumed on the same day they are made. However, you can store them in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
5. Can I freeze the donuts?
Yes, you can freeze the donuts. Allow them to cool completely, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw them at room temperature before serving.
6. Can I add any toppings to the donuts?
Absolutely! You can add a glaze, chocolate ganache, sprinkles, or any other toppings of your choice.
7. Can I make the dough the night before and fry them in the morning?
Yes, you can prepare the dough the night before, cover it tightly, and refrigerate it. In the morning, simply roll out the dough, cut the donuts, and fry them as directed.