The Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail that has stood the test of time. Its simplicity and timeless flavor profile make it a go-to choice for many cocktail enthusiasts. While the traditional version is made with whiskey, there are variations that add a smoky twist to this beloved cocktail. In this article, we will explore the best easy smoky Old Fashioned recipe that you can try at home.
To make this smoky version of the Old Fashioned, you will need a few key ingredients. Here is a list of what you will need:
– 2 ounces of your favorite whiskey (preferably a bourbon)
– 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
– 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
– 1 dash of liquid smoke
– Orange peel and cherry for garnish
Now that you have your ingredients ready, let’s get started with the simple steps to make this delicious cocktail:
1. In an Old Fashioned glass, muddle the orange peel, cherry, and maple syrup together until well combined.
2. Add the whiskey, Angostura bitters, and a dash of liquid smoke to the glass.
3. Fill the glass with ice cubes and stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
4. Take another orange peel and express the oils over the cocktail by squeezing it gently. Rub the peel around the rim of the glass for added aroma.
5. Garnish your smoky Old Fashioned with a cherry and serve immediately.
Now that you have your smoky Old Fashioned ready, it’s time to sit back, relax, and enjoy this delightful cocktail. The combination of the smoky flavors, the sweetness of the maple syrup, and the richness of the whiskey creates a perfectly balanced drink that will leave you wanting more.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the smoky Old Fashioned:
Q1: Can I use a different type of sweetener instead of maple syrup?
A1: Yes, you can substitute maple syrup with other sweeteners like simple syrup or honey, based on your preference.
Q2: What type of whiskey is best for this cocktail?
A2: Bourbon whiskey is the traditional choice for an Old Fashioned, but you can experiment with other types of whiskey like rye or scotch as well.
Q3: Where can I find liquid smoke?
A3: Liquid smoke can be found in most grocery stores, usually in the condiment or barbecue sauce aisle.
Q4: Can I make a large batch of smoky Old Fashioned for a party?
A4: Absolutely! Simply multiply the recipe by the number of servings you want to make and mix everything in a pitcher.
Q5: Can I use a different type of bitters?
A5: While Angostura bitters are the classic choice, you can experiment with other types of bitters like orange or chocolate to add a different flavor profile.
Q6: Should I stir or shake the cocktail?
A6: The Old Fashioned is traditionally stirred, not shaken. Stirring gently ensures that the flavors combine without diluting the cocktail too much.
Q7: Can I add a splash of soda water to the smoky Old Fashioned?
A7: While it is not traditional, you can certainly add a splash of soda water if you prefer a slightly effervescent version of this cocktail.
Now armed with this easy smoky Old Fashioned recipe and the answers to some common questions, you are ready to impress your friends and family with this flavorful and sophisticated cocktail. Cheers!