Best Easy Sweet Spicy Beef Jerky Recipe
Beef jerky is a delicious and convenient snack that is loved by many. It is a perfect on-the-go treat, whether you are hiking, camping, or just need a quick energy boost. While there are many flavors available in stores, making your own beef jerky allows you to customize the taste to your liking. If you are a fan of sweet and spicy flavors, then this easy sweet spicy beef jerky recipe is perfect for you.
– 1.5 pounds of beef (flank steak or sirloin)
– 1/2 cup soy sauce
– 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
– 1/4 cup honey
– 2 tablespoons brown sugar
– 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
– 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
– 1 tablespoon garlic powder
– 1 tablespoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust according to your spice preference)
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Begin by slicing the beef into thin strips, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. It is easier to slice the beef if it is slightly frozen.
2. In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are well combined.
3. Add the beef strips to the marinade, making sure each strip is coated evenly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight for best results. This will allow the flavors to penetrate the meat.
4. After marinating, preheat your oven to 175°F (80°C) or the lowest temperature setting.
5. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper, then place a wire rack on top. This will help the air circulate around the beef strips during the drying process.
6. Remove the beef strips from the marinade, allowing any excess marinade to drip off. Arrange the beef strips on the wire rack, making sure they are not touching each other.
7. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and let the beef strips dry for 3 to 4 hours. The drying time may vary depending on the thickness of your beef strips and the desired level of chewiness. Keep an eye on them and remove when they reach your preferred consistency.
8. Once the beef jerky is dried to your liking, remove it from the oven and let it cool completely. The jerky will become even chewier as it cools.
9. Store the beef jerky in an airtight container or resealable bags. It can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, or refrigerated for longer shelf life.
Now that you have mastered the art of making sweet spicy beef jerky, you may have a few questions. Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers:
Q1. Can I use a different type of meat instead of beef?
A1. Yes, you can use other types of meat like chicken or turkey, but the cooking time may vary.
Q2. Can I adjust the sweetness and spiciness of the jerky?
A2. Absolutely! Feel free to increase or decrease the amount of honey, brown sugar, and spices according to your taste preference.
Q3. Can I use a dehydrator instead of an oven?
A3. Yes, a dehydrator can be used instead of an oven. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for drying time and temperature.
Q4. Can I substitute the soy sauce with a different sauce?
A4. Yes, you can use tamari sauce or coconut aminos as a soy sauce substitute.
Q5. Can I marinate the beef for longer than overnight?
A5. Yes, marinating the beef for longer will enhance the flavor, but make sure to refrigerate it.
Q6. Can I make a larger batch of jerky?
A6. Absolutely! Just adjust the quantities of the ingredients accordingly.
Q7. Can I add other spices or seasonings?
A7. Yes, you can experiment with different spices like smoked paprika, cumin, or chili powder to customize the flavor.
Q8. Can I make the jerky without any added sugar?
A8. Yes, you can omit the honey and brown sugar, but keep in mind that it will affect the sweetness and tenderness of the jerky.
Q9. How long does it take for the jerky to cool completely?
A9. It usually takes about 30 minutes to an hour for the jerky to cool down completely.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to get cooking and enjoy your homemade sweet spicy beef jerky. Happy snacking!