Best Easy Sweetie Pie’s Dressing Recipe
Sweetie Pie’s is a renowned soul food restaurant in St. Louis, Missouri, known for its delicious and authentic Southern dishes. One of their most beloved recipes is their dressing, which is a perfect blend of flavors and textures. If you’re looking to recreate the magic of Sweetie Pie’s at home, here’s a simple and easy recipe for their famous dressing.
– 1 loaf of day-old bread (cornbread or white bread)
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 1 cup chopped onions
– 1 cup chopped bell peppers
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 1 teaspoon dried sage
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
– 1 teaspoon dried parsley
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/2 cup melted butter
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Crumble the day-old bread into a large mixing bowl and set it aside. You can use a combination of cornbread and white bread for a unique flavor.
2. In a skillet, sauté the chopped celery, onions, and bell peppers until they become tender. This will take about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
3. In the mixing bowl with the crumbled bread, add the sautéed vegetables and mix well.
4. Gradually pour the chicken broth into the mixture, making sure to moisten the bread thoroughly. Mix until the bread absorbs the liquid.
5. Add the beaten eggs, dried sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley, salt, and pepper to the mixture. Stir well to combine all the ingredients evenly.
6. Pour the melted butter over the mixture and mix again until everything is well incorporated.
7. Transfer the dressing mixture into a greased baking dish and spread it evenly.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
9. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
This easy Sweetie Pie’s dressing recipe captures the essence of Southern comfort food. The combination of flavors from the vegetables, herbs, and seasoning creates a mouthwatering dish that is sure to impress your family and friends.
Questions and Answers:
1. Can I use store-bought cornbread for this recipe?
Yes, you can use store-bought cornbread if you don’t have time to make it from scratch. Just make sure it’s a day old for the best results.
2. Can I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth?
Yes, you can substitute vegetable broth if you prefer a vegetarian version of this dressing.
3. Can I add meat to the dressing?
Absolutely! You can add cooked and crumbled bacon, sausage, or even leftover turkey to enhance the flavor and texture.
4. How can I make the dressing less dry?
If you find the dressing too dry, you can add a little more chicken broth or melted butter to moisten it to your liking.
5. Can I make this dressing ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the dressing a day in advance. Just cover it tightly with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate. Bake it just before serving.
6. Can I freeze the dressing?
Yes, you can freeze the dressing. Make sure to cool it completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag. It can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
7. Can I add nuts or dried fruits to the dressing?
Certainly! Chopped pecans, walnuts, or dried cranberries can add a delightful crunch and sweetness to the dressing. Just add them to the mixture before baking.
Enjoy this easy Sweetie Pie’s dressing recipe as a side dish for your holiday feasts, family gatherings, or any time you crave a taste of Southern comfort. It’s a crowd-pleasing dish that will leave everyone asking for seconds!