Best Easy Tacos El Gordo Recipe
Tacos El Gordo is a popular Mexican dish that has gained worldwide recognition for its delicious flavors and simplicity. Originating from the streets of Tijuana, these tacos are known for their succulent marinated meats and flavorful toppings. If you’re looking to recreate this mouthwatering dish at home, we’ve got you covered with the best and easiest Tacos El Gordo recipe.
– 1 pound of beef sirloin, thinly sliced
– 1 pound of pork shoulder, thinly sliced
– 1/2 cup of pineapple juice
– 1/4 cup of orange juice
– 1/4 cup of lime juice
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
– 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Corn tortillas
– Chopped onions
– Chopped cilantro
– Sliced radishes
– Lime wedges
– Salsa of your choice
1. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice, minced garlic, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well to create a marinade.
2. Place the thinly sliced beef sirloin and pork shoulder in the marinade, ensuring that the meat is fully coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight for the best flavor.
3. Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove the marinated meat from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
4. Cook the marinated meat in batches, ensuring that each piece is evenly cooked and slightly charred. This will take about 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside the cooked meat and repeat the process until all the meat is cooked.
5. Warm the corn tortillas by placing them on a separate skillet or griddle over medium heat. Cook for about 30-60 seconds on each side until they are pliable and slightly toasted.
6. Assemble the tacos by placing a few slices of the cooked marinated meat onto each warm tortilla. Top with chopped onions, chopped cilantro, sliced radishes, and a squeeze of lime juice. Add salsa of your choice for an extra kick.
7. Serve the tacos immediately and enjoy the mouthwatering flavors of Tacos El Gordo.
Now, let’s dive into some frequently asked questions about Tacos El Gordo:
1. Can I use chicken instead of beef and pork?
Yes, you can substitute chicken for the beef and pork in this recipe. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
2. Can I use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas?
While corn tortillas are traditionally used for Tacos El Gordo, you can use flour tortillas if you prefer. Keep in mind that this might alter the taste and texture slightly.
3. Can I marinate the meat for longer than overnight?
Yes, marinating the meat for longer than overnight will enhance the flavors even more. Just make sure to refrigerate it properly.
4. Can I freeze the marinated meat for later use?
Yes, you can freeze the marinated meat for later use. Simply place it in an airtight container or freezer bag and store it for up to 3 months.
5. What other toppings can I add to my tacos?
Feel free to get creative with your toppings! Some popular options include guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, and pickled jalapenos.
6. Can I make vegetarian Tacos El Gordo?
Absolutely! Substitute the meat with grilled vegetables or marinated tofu for a vegetarian version.
7. Can I make Tacos El Gordo ahead of time for a party?
Yes, you can prepare the marinated meat and toppings ahead of time. Cook the meat and warm the tortillas just before serving.
8. What type of salsa goes well with Tacos El Gordo?
Traditionally, a spicy salsa such as salsa roja or salsa verde is used. However, you can use any salsa that complements your taste preferences.
9. Can I use a slow cooker to cook the marinated meat?
Yes, you can use a slow cooker to cook the marinated meat. Cook it on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the meat is tender and fully cooked.
With this easy Tacos El Gordo recipe, you can enjoy the flavors of Mexico right in the comfort of your own home. Whether you’re hosting a party or simply craving a delicious meal, these tacos are sure to impress your taste buds. So gather your ingredients, follow the instructions, and savor the incredible flavors of Tacos El Gordo. ¡Buen provecho!