Tad’s Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is a classic comfort food that is loved by many. This dish is perfect for those chilly nights when you crave something warm and hearty. The best part is, it’s incredibly easy to make! In this article, we will walk you through the steps of making this delicious recipe and provide you with some helpful tips along the way.
To start off, you will need the following ingredients:
– 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
– 4 cups of chicken broth
– 1 cup of milk
– 1 cup of all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons of baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
– 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
– 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
– 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
Now, let’s get cooking!
1. In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the chicken breasts and let them cook for about 20 minutes, or until they are fully cooked and tender. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it using two forks. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and dried parsley. Add the milk to the bowl and stir until a thick batter forms.
3. Return the pot with the chicken broth to the stove and bring it back to a boil. Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the boiling broth, creating dumplings. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Let the dumplings simmer for about 10 minutes, or until they are cooked through and fluffy.
4. Once the dumplings are cooked, add the shredded chicken back into the pot. Stir everything together and let it simmer for an additional 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
5. Taste the chicken and dumplings and adjust the seasoning if necessary. You can add more salt, pepper, or any other herbs and spices to suit your taste.
6. Serve the chicken and dumplings hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired. This dish pairs well with a side of steamed vegetables or a simple green salad.
7. Enjoy your homemade Tad’s Chicken and Dumplings!
Now, let’s move on to some commonly asked questions about this recipe:
Q1. Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
A1. Yes, you can definitely use chicken thighs if you prefer. They will add a deeper flavor to the dish.
Q2. Can I make this recipe with store-bought chicken broth?
A2. Yes, you can use store-bought chicken broth if you don’t have homemade broth on hand. Just make sure to choose a low-sodium option.
Q3. Can I freeze the leftovers?
A3. Absolutely! This recipe freezes well. Just store the leftovers in an airtight container and thaw them in the refrigerator before reheating.
Q4. Can I add vegetables to the chicken and dumplings?
A4. Yes, adding vegetables like carrots, peas, or celery can enhance the flavor and nutritional value of the dish. Simply sauté them before adding them to the pot.
Q5. Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
A5. Yes, you can substitute whole wheat flour for a healthier version of the dumplings. Just keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different.
Q6. How long will the leftovers last in the fridge?
A6. The leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Q7. Can I use a slow cooker for this recipe?
A7. Yes, you can adapt this recipe for a slow cooker. Simply cook the chicken and broth in the slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours, then add the dumpling batter and cook for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour on high.
In conclusion, Tad’s Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is a simple and delicious dish that is sure to warm your soul. With just a few ingredients and easy steps, you can enjoy this comforting meal in no time. Don’t forget to customize the recipe to your liking and experiment with different herbs and spices. Happy cooking!