Best Easy Thai Basil Ground Beef Recipe
If you’re a fan of Thai cuisine and are looking for a delicious and easy recipe to try at home, look no further than this Thai Basil Ground Beef dish. With its vibrant flavors and simple preparation, it’s sure to become a favorite in your household!
– 1 pound ground beef
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 small onion, thinly sliced
– 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
– 1 cup Thai basil leaves
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon fish sauce
– 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
– Cooked rice, for serving
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking it up into small pieces with a spatula or wooden spoon.
3. Stir in the sliced onion and bell pepper, and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes (if using). Pour the sauce mixture into the skillet and stir to combine.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the beef and vegetables simmer in the sauce for about 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
6. Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the Thai basil leaves. The residual heat will wilt the basil slightly.
7. Serve the Thai basil ground beef over steamed rice and enjoy!
Now, let’s move on to some commonly asked questions about this recipe:
1. Can I use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef?
Yes, absolutely! Ground chicken or turkey can be used as a substitute for beef in this recipe. The cooking time may vary slightly depending on the type of meat used.
2. Can I use dried basil instead of fresh Thai basil?
While fresh Thai basil has a unique flavor, you can use dried basil if you can’t find the fresh variety. However, reduce the amount to 1-2 teaspoons as dried basil tends to have a stronger flavor.
3. Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Yes, you can make a vegetarian version by substituting the ground beef with plant-based alternatives like crumbled tofu or tempeh. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
4. What other vegetables can I add?
Feel free to experiment with different vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, or carrots. Add them along with the onion and bell pepper in step 3.
5. Can I make this dish spicy?
Yes, if you prefer a spicier dish, you can increase the amount of red pepper flakes or add some chopped fresh chili peppers.
6. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free soy sauce and oyster sauce to make this dish gluten-free.
7. Can I make a larger batch and freeze the leftovers?
Absolutely! This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled, and the leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
8. Can I add other sauces or condiments to enhance the flavor?
Feel free to add a splash of lime juice, a drizzle of sriracha sauce, or a sprinkle of sesame oil to enhance the flavors according to your preference.
9. Can I serve this dish with noodles instead of rice?
Yes, you can serve the Thai basil ground beef with rice noodles or any other type of noodles you prefer. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions and toss them with the beef mixture before serving.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to get cooking! Enjoy this delicious Thai basil ground beef recipe and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.