The Shed Red Chile Sauce Recipe: A Delicious and Easy-to-Make Condiment
If you’re a fan of spicy and flavorful sauces, then The Shed Red Chile Sauce is a must-try recipe. Originating from The Shed, a renowned restaurant in Santa Fe, New Mexico, this sauce brings a delightful kick to any dish. The best part is that it’s incredibly easy to make in the comfort of your own kitchen. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to create this mouthwatering sauce and answer some common questions about it.
– 1 cup dried red New Mexico chile pods
– 4 cups water
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
– 1 tablespoon flour
1. Rinse the dried chile pods under cold water to remove any dirt or debris.
2. In a large pot, combine the chile pods and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until the chile pods are soft.
3. Remove the chile pods from the pot, reserving the cooking liquid.
4. Using a blender or food processor, blend the chile pods, garlic, salt, cumin, and oregano until smooth. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
5. In a separate saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes until the mixture turns golden brown.
6. Slowly pour the blended chile mixture into the saucepan, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove from heat and let the sauce cool before transferring it to a jar or airtight container for storage.
8. The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Now, let’s move on to some commonly asked questions about The Shed Red Chile Sauce:
1. Can I use a different type of chile pepper?
While the authentic flavor of The Shed Red Chile Sauce comes from New Mexico chile pods, you can experiment with other varieties. Ancho or guajillo peppers can be good alternatives, but keep in mind that the taste may vary slightly.
2. How spicy is this sauce?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted by adding or reducing the amount of chile pods used. The New Mexico chile pods have a mild to medium heat, so it shouldn’t be overwhelmingly spicy.
3. Can I make the sauce ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the sauce in advance and store it in the refrigerator. The flavors actually deepen and develop over time, making it even more delicious.
4. What can I use The Shed Red Chile Sauce for?
This versatile sauce can be used as a condiment for tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or even as a marinade for meats. Its rich and smoky flavor complements a wide range of dishes.
5. Is this sauce gluten-free?
The Shed Red Chile Sauce is typically gluten-free, but it’s essential to check the labels of the ingredients you use to ensure they don’t contain any hidden gluten.
6. Can I freeze the sauce?
Yes, you can freeze The Shed Red Chile Sauce for long-term storage. Just make sure to use an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.
7. How can I adjust the thickness of the sauce?
If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can reduce the amount of cooking liquid added during the blending process. Conversely, if you want a thinner consistency, add a bit more of the reserved cooking liquid.
Now that you have the recipe and some additional information about The Shed Red Chile Sauce, it’s time to get cooking. Gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and enjoy the spicy and delicious flavor that this sauce brings to your favorite dishes.