Best Easy Vegan Liquid Mozzarella Recipe
If you are a vegan or simply looking to reduce your dairy intake, finding a good alternative to traditional mozzarella can be a challenge. Luckily, there is an easy and delicious solution – vegan liquid mozzarella! This recipe will give you a creamy and flavorful substitute that can be used in a variety of dishes.
– 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
– 1 cup water
– 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
– 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
1. In a blender, combine the soaked cashews, water, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir constantly to prevent sticking or clumping.
3. As the mixture heats up, it will start to thicken and become stretchy. Continue stirring until it reaches a gooey, melted cheese consistency.
4. Once the mixture is smooth and stretchy, remove it from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
5. Transfer the liquid mozzarella to a container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow it to set and firm up.
6. After refrigeration, the mozzarella will have a firm texture and can be sliced or shredded as desired.
Now that you have the recipe, let’s address some common questions about vegan liquid mozzarella.
1. Can I use a different type of nut instead of cashews?
Yes, you can substitute cashews with almonds or macadamia nuts. However, the flavor and texture may vary slightly.
2. Is tapioca flour essential for this recipe?
Tapioca flour is what gives the mozzarella its stretchy and gooey texture. It is recommended to use tapioca flour, but you can experiment with other starches like arrowroot or cornstarch.
3. Can I skip the nutritional yeast?
Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor to the mozzarella, so skipping it may result in a less authentic taste. However, if you don’t have nutritional yeast, you can still make a delicious vegan cheese without it.
4. How long will the vegan liquid mozzarella last in the refrigerator?
The mozzarella will stay fresh for about 5-7 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
5. Can I melt the vegan liquid mozzarella?
Yes, you can melt it! Simply heat it up in a saucepan or microwave until it reaches the desired consistency.
6. Can I use this mozzarella for pizza?
Absolutely! This vegan liquid mozzarella is perfect for pizzas. Spread it on a pre-baked pizza crust, add your favorite toppings, and bake until golden and bubbly.
7. Can I freeze the liquid mozzarella?
Yes, you can freeze it. However, keep in mind that the texture may change slightly after thawing. It is best to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before using.
Now that you have the recipe and answers to your questions, it’s time to get creative in the kitchen! Enjoy your homemade vegan liquid mozzarella in salads, sandwiches, pasta dishes, or any recipe that calls for traditional mozzarella.