Best Easy Whole Food Lentil Soup Recipe
Lentil soup is a hearty and nutritious dish that is perfect for those looking to enjoy a delicious meal packed with essential nutrients. This recipe is not only easy to make but also uses whole food ingredients, ensuring that you are nourishing your body with the best ingredients available. Whether you are a soup lover or just looking for a comforting meal, this lentil soup recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
– 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and drained
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 carrots, diced
– 2 celery stalks, diced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
– 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for extra heat)
– 4 cups vegetable broth
– 2 cups water
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion, carrots, celery, and minced garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne pepper (if using) to the pot. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spices.
3. Add the rinsed lentils, vegetable broth, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
5. Serve the lentil soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about this delicious lentil soup recipe:
1. Can I use canned lentils instead of dried lentils?
– Yes, you can use canned lentils if you prefer. Just make sure to drain and rinse them before adding to the soup.
2. Can I add other vegetables to this soup?
– Absolutely! This recipe serves as a great base, and you can add any vegetables you like. Some popular choices include spinach, kale, zucchini, or bell peppers.
3. Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?
– Yes, you can. Simply follow the instructions until step 3, then transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
4. Can I freeze this soup for later?
– Yes, this lentil soup freezes well. Just let it cool completely, then transfer to freezer-safe containers or bags. It can be stored for up to 3 months.
5. Can I use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth?
– Of course! Feel free to use chicken broth if you prefer the flavor. The soup will still be delicious.
6. Is this recipe suitable for vegans or vegetarians?
– Yes, this lentil soup recipe is completely vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
7. Can I add cooked chicken or sausage to this soup?
– Absolutely! If you want to add some protein to the soup, you can add cooked chicken or sausage during step 3.
8. Can I use red lentils instead of brown lentils?
– Yes, you can substitute red lentils for brown lentils. Just note that red lentils tend to cook faster, so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
9. Can I use vegetable stock instead of vegetable broth?
– Yes, vegetable stock can be used as a substitute for vegetable broth in this recipe. The flavor will be slightly richer.
Enjoy this delicious and nutritious whole food lentil soup recipe, and feel free to customize it to your liking by adding your favorite vegetables or proteins. It’s the perfect meal for a cozy night in or to keep you warm during the colder months. Bon appétit!