Best Easy Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread Machine Recipe
If you’re a bread enthusiast who loves the tangy flavor of sourdough, then this easy whole wheat sourdough bread machine recipe is perfect for you. Making bread at home can be a time-consuming process, but with the help of a bread machine, you can enjoy freshly baked sourdough bread without putting in too much effort. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making the best easy whole wheat sourdough bread using your bread machine.
– 1 cup active sourdough starter
– 2 cups whole wheat flour
– 1 ½ cups bread flour
– 1 ½ teaspoons salt
– 1 tablespoon honey
– 1 cup warm water
1. Start by adding the active sourdough starter, whole wheat flour, bread flour, salt, honey, and warm water into the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
2. Select the whole wheat or basic bread setting on your bread machine.
3. Close the lid and press start to begin the bread-making process.
4. Allow the bread machine to mix and knead the dough thoroughly. This usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
5. Once the dough is mixed and kneaded, it will go through a rise cycle. This process allows the sourdough to ferment and develop its distinct flavor. Depending on your machine, this can take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.
6. After the rise cycle is complete, the bread machine will move on to the bake cycle. This is when the dough is transformed into a delicious loaf of bread. The baking time varies depending on your machine, but it typically takes around 1 hour.
7. Once the bread is done baking, carefully remove it from the bread machine pan and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Now that you have the recipe, let’s answer some common questions about making whole wheat sourdough bread in a bread machine:
1. Can I use all-purpose flour instead of bread flour?
Yes, you can substitute all-purpose flour for bread flour if you don’t have any on hand. However, keep in mind that bread flour has a higher protein content, which helps create a chewier texture in the bread.
2. Can I use whole wheat flour only?
Yes, you can use whole wheat flour exclusively, but the resulting bread might be denser and have a stronger flavor. Mixing it with bread flour creates a balance and improves the texture.
3. What if I don’t have an active sourdough starter?
You can easily make your own sourdough starter at home. There are numerous tutorials available online to guide you through the process.
4. Can I add other ingredients like nuts or seeds?
Absolutely! Feel free to add nuts, seeds, or even dried fruits to enhance the flavor and texture of your bread. Add them during the mixing phase for even distribution.
5. Can I use honey instead of sugar?
Yes, honey provides a subtle sweetness and adds moisture to the bread. You can replace sugar with honey in equal amounts.
6. How long does the bread stay fresh?
Whole wheat sourdough bread typically stays fresh for 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container or plastic bag at room temperature.
7. Can I freeze the bread?
Yes, you can freeze the bread to extend its shelf life. Slice it before freezing and thaw individual slices as needed.